PDA

View Full Version : cleaner wax

zx1200r
03-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Has anyone used those one step polish/waxes, like 3m cleaner wax. I want to use them on older cars with oxidized paint will they work?

jcattarulla
03-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Yes, I have used a cleaner/wax. While they are not bad by any means, they will never give the same results as a multi-step process, but I have had good results on a non-clear-coated car with Meguiar`s #6 Cleaner/Wax. I`ve used it by hand as well as with a PC and had good results.

Just keep in mind that you won`t get the same results that you would if you were to perform all the steps at once.

Good Luck!

imported_Smoker
03-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Not very well .. oxidation needs something like SMR (mild oxidation) or DACP for worse oxidation.

Wax just gives a shine, it has no abrasive qualities.

A paint cleaner is only one step up on the abrasive scale.

shaf
03-17-2003, 08:51 PM
Different cleaner waxes have more strength than others. Something like the off-the-shelf stuff TW probably won`t do very much even though they are "cleaner waxes". Some professional grade cleaner waxes are stronger though, like 3M MOR (is this the one you`re mentioning?), Meguiar`s #66 and #32 for example.

Scottwax
03-18-2003, 12:18 AM
Clearkote`s Vanillla Moose Hand Glaze Wax and Moose Wax will both remove oxidation. Vanilla Moose has light abrasives and Moose Wax uses chemical cleaners.