PDA

View Full Version : just got car repainted, need advice

Pages : [1] 2

theblue
03-17-2003, 02:28 PM
hello,

I`ve been a long time reader around here but I didn`t post much. I have a 97 maxima that was black, but I just got it repainted BMW carbon black. It has all the usual problems of a new paint job such as swirling, but no overspray or orange peal.

I got a new PC a while back but I don`t have any pads or extras and I want to start fresh on this car in terms of paint cleaners and waxes etc...

I`ll get some "before" pictures up later, but I can`t from work so until then I pose the question to the experts out there.

If this was you`re newly painted car - what would you buy and in what order how much would you use to make the new paint work the best and protect it. I plan on giving the car two weeks before I put anything on the paint, so now is the time to buy everything.

imported_Smoker
03-17-2003, 02:36 PM
Depending how bad the swirls are I would either go for DACP (if theyre bad) or SMR if theyre only light.

You can mix and match between cutting (Purple Megs) and polishing(yellow Megs) pads with either compound to get the cutting action you want.

I would give that a go and see how it comes out.

Might be worth claying to remove any bodyshop junk thats settled.

I know finished cars dont always get moved out the shop straight away and sometimes crap can settle on them.

Top it off with whatever your favourite is.

Theres plenty of choices mentioned on here, a glaze and wax, AIO and wax ..... AIO and UPP .... Zaino.

Whatever floats your boat.

theblue
03-17-2003, 02:56 PM
so there is no harm in claying a freshly painted car?

tpgsr
03-17-2003, 03:03 PM
hey, are you aaron, aka theblue, from ubrf that lives with aiman? I am tpgsr on there also, and go to RIT too..... I always find it interesting to find other people on different forums. and to answer, nope the clay wont hurt it, but i do believe that fresh paint has a curing time that you have to respect (i may be wrong though)

~mike

medic
03-17-2003, 03:13 PM
what cure time did the body shop tell you for your paint. most palces say not to do anything but wash with soap and water and dry for at least a month on a freshly painted car. the two weeks you`re saying sounds pretty short.

when you do decide do do some work, I`d go for the clay bar first and then maybe use some SMR or DCAP depending on how bad the swirls are. most people say for protection, zaino looks good on black, but s100 or blackfire II are also pretty good imo from the pics I`ve seen

theblue
03-17-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by tpgsr

hey, are you aaron, aka theblue, from ubrf that lives with aiman? I am tpgsr on there also, and go to RIT too..... I always find it interesting to find other people on different forums. and to answer, nope the clay wont hurt it, but i do believe that fresh paint has a curing time that you have to respect (i may be wrong though)

~mike yeah, that`s me.... I`m everywhere...

anyway.. I plan on a min of two weeks to cure (what they recommended), but after that I want to be ready to attack the car and make it perfect.

theblue
03-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by medic

what cure time did the body shop tell you for your paint. most palces say not to do anything but wash with soap and water and dry for at least a month on a freshly painted car. the two weeks you`re saying sounds pretty short.

when you do decide do do some work, I`d go for the clay bar first and then maybe use some SMR or DCAP depending on how bad the swirls are. most people say for protection, zaino looks good on black, but s100 or blackfire II are also pretty good imo from the pics I`ve seen based on wht people are saying in general I think I`m going to give it a month to cure... I`ve been thinking blackfire but i`m still undecided

theblue
03-17-2003, 04:00 PM
more questions

1) what exactly is happening when the paint is curing?

2) i`ve always thought that Zaino was more reflective, but blackfire gave a more deeper/wet look is this true or false?

2wheelsx2
03-17-2003, 04:03 PM
Nobody has asked this yet, but I don`t understand one thing. You said that it`s a new paint job. No orange peel or overspray. So how did they get swirls in it, if it hasn`t been touched?

wizardofahs
03-17-2003, 04:05 PM
my black car was just repainted so i`m in the same situation. Here is my plan. First i`m going to dawn wash it (to get of anything the body shop might of left ont here) and then clay it. Next i`m going to use the menzerna final polish to remove the light swirlls. I`ll probably do this with my PC and the grey pad. After that i`m going to throw a coat of klasse AIO over it. Then 3x coats of klasse SG per day probably 2-3 times a week till i`m happy. Once i get enough coats of SG on there i might throw some s100 on top just because.

boywonder
03-17-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by theblue

hello,

I`ve been a long time reader around here but I didn`t post much. I have a 97 maxima that was black, but I just got it repainted BMW carbon black. It has all the usual problems of a new paint job such as swirling, but no overspray or orange peal.

I got a new PC a while back but I don`t have any pads or extras and I want to start fresh on this car in terms of paint cleaners and waxes etc...

I`ll get some "before" pictures up later, but I can`t from work so until then I pose the question to the experts out there.

If this was you`re newly painted car - what would you buy and in what order how much would you use to make the new paint work the best and protect it. I plan on giving the car two weeks before I put anything on the paint, so now is the time to buy everything.

Actually, you need to give the paint at least 1 month to adequately cure before you start putting anything on it.

The reason is that the finish hasn`t cured or become strong enough to handle the polish and you stand the risk of inducing more swirls/scratches in the paint.

When My `02 Maxima was repainted after a hit and run, the shop advised me not to wax the car for 60 days (2 months)so that the paint can thoroughly cure.

BTW, I know you from Maxima.org

crooper
03-17-2003, 08:14 PM
sigh. my body shop told me to wait 90 days before waxing and polishing. i`ve already passed 30 days and will pass 60 at the beginning of april but i`ve got major swirls for some reason. i`ve washed it twice but the rest of my paint doesn`t have swirls.

Redmax
03-25-2003, 06:11 PM
now this is kind of funny, i am getting my car repainted right before a show that i`m entering . Approx 2 weeks before, but your saying i cant polish the car for the show because of curing paint? so what do i do for suface prep on the paint so that it will have that great shine?

Oh and I know both of you from MAXIMA.org ;)

Preachers Sheets
03-25-2003, 06:31 PM
I`m no expert but the clear coat is probaly still really soft and even washing is inducing swirls.

I wouldn`t even drive the car if I didn`t have too if that`s the case. If you can induce swirls from washing just think of what can happen if someone rubs against your car with something rough.

theblue
03-25-2003, 06:54 PM
picture of my car as I said I would post:

NOTE: NOT to be posted on maxima.org (I`ll do that once the car is finished)

http://www.nyfishbowl.com/~aaronb/images/1blackMax.jpg