PDA

View Full Version : waxing in the sun :(

nate010753
03-16-2003, 03:29 PM
Just wanted to find out why waxing in the sun is so bad? Where I wash my car is a coin op. So there is a spot you can pull to the side afterwardds to dry off this is where I usually wax it. However there is not much shade there. I do my best by turing the car in all sorts of angles but there is no hiding from the sun at times. So assuming shade can`t be had what are the problems with waxing in the sun?

switerajaya
03-16-2003, 05:03 PM
There was a thread going about Poorboy`s product used with great results in the sun. You may find searching for that thread. But I agree with ejant that it is the paint temp that gets you. Evaporation occurs too quickly then the wax residue is much harder to remove. If you are going to wax that way, you`ll have to divide your panels up even more, i.e. divide the door in two instead of doing it in one. Or divide the hood in four sections instead of two, etc.

imported_Intel486
03-16-2003, 06:05 PM
Poorboys stuff does work well in the sun even on extremely hot paint. One of the good things about it.

The main problem with working in the sun is product evaporate quicker.

imported_Greg
03-16-2003, 06:46 PM
Clearkote is wonderful in the sun, I have had no problems with it streaking/drying too quickly.

Tim Lingor
03-16-2003, 07:09 PM
One of the best products I have ever used in the direct sun was Classic Carnuaba Spray Wax. It has since been discontinued; it was owned by Pennzoil (sp?) It was an awesome product!!

Does anyone have other suggestions for wax that can be applied in the direct sunlight besides Poorboys and Clearkote??:nixweiss

samiam513
03-16-2003, 07:31 PM
z-2

mauritiusblue
03-17-2003, 03:21 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread but I also had a question about waxing in the sun. I was gonna be detailing soon using BF2 and polish as well as 3M SMR to remove some swirls. Would it be a bad idea to do these things in the sun.

Also, would claying in the sun be ok too?...Just a few quick questions.

THANKS!

Michaelwdes
03-17-2003, 04:16 AM
what about using the EO wax-as-u-dry?

I know its not a heavey duty wax, but its not a bad wax either........

nate010753
03-17-2003, 07:57 AM
I don`t mind so much the extra work in taking the wax off. But if it is going to evaporate off the paint and be less effective then I may have to go down a different road. or maybe just pull under a tree down the road I just have to drive after I just wash my car even if it is a couple of blocks away. I have the poorboys clearkote on order so hopefully I can try it the next time.

mx5
03-17-2003, 08:15 AM
According to the website, this product IS supposed to be applied in the sun.

http://www.acrylicwerks.com/

"Acrylic-Wërks is best applied in direct sunlight, while the surface is hot and expanded, in order to let Acrylic-Wërks into the pores of your paint for deep cleaning and filling, thus creating a non-porous and U.V. protected surface. "

Scottwax
03-17-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by 2hotford

Does anyone have other suggestions for wax that can be applied in the direct sunlight besides Poorboys and Clearkote??:nixweiss

American Shine`s Carnuba can also be used in the direct sun. I used it on a black Ford Explorer in a July day at noon. Nice shine, wipes off with no effort even on 98 degree days. Not quite as wet looking as Moose Wax, but still a nice shine.

thom
03-17-2003, 11:34 PM
you can also try mron glass by www.californiacustom.com let it bake in the sun :up

Nick T.
03-18-2003, 12:47 AM
Zaino works well even in very bright direct sun.