PDA

View Full Version : How to remove paint scuffs?

imported_Greg
03-16-2003, 10:15 AM
This car I just picked up today to detail is in great shape, but it has some minor paint scuffs like where someone hit them pulling out of a parking space or scuffed it pulling into a garage or something. Is there any way I can get these out because I think it would make the car look so much better. Thanks!

Accumulator
03-16-2003, 10:45 AM
Greg- If you (and the car`s owner) are VERY lucky, the scuffs are paint from the OTHER car and will clean off leaving your finish fine. I`d start by cleaning the areas with clay (pretty aggressively) and see what you have to work with after that. I wouldn`t try wetsanding for fear of breaking through/weakening the clearcoat. Try the usual mild polish, stronger if needed, etc. If this doesn`t work there`s not much you can do; some problems are only solved with a paintgun ;)

imported_Dude
03-16-2003, 11:22 AM
Yes, it might be the other guy`s paint. If often is. Try soap and water first -- this actually sometimes removes it. Don`t be afraid to scrub fairly hard. Then a clay bar, as Accumulator suggested.

imported_Goose
03-16-2003, 12:54 PM
I scuffed the paint on my truck when I hit a white pole all I did was use some SMR by hand it removed the scuff in no time

imported_Greg
03-16-2003, 06:33 PM
You guys rock, I took some Pinnacle poly-clay and very lightly lubricated it and it came off with a little work and my fingernail. The guy was very appreciative and made it be known in my wallet. :D