PDA

View Full Version : streaks with 3M products

ky-mike
03-15-2003, 07:27 PM
I tried out my new PC today on my BRG Miata. Great shine, but I am having problems with streaks. :nixweiss

My routine today -

Wash with Meguires car wash

Clay entire car

3M SMR (dark finishes) with PC

3M IHG by hand

3M Liquid wax by hand

I got some streaking on the hood and trunk with the IHG and then more when I waxed the trunk. I did not continue waxing as I didn`t want to do something that I would have to undo later.

Any suggestions? Could I have applied too much product (SMR, IHG or wax) or not worked it in good enough before wiping off? I am using MF towels to wipe off all of the residue (different towel for each product).

I did a search, but didn`t come up with any good suggestions that appeared to apply to me.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Detailing NY
03-15-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by ky-mike

I tried out my new PC today on my BRG Miata. Great shine, but I am having problems with streaks. :nixweiss

My routine today -

Wash with Meguires car wash

Clay entire car

3M SMR (dark finishes) with PC

3M IHG by hand

3M Liquid wax by hand

I got some streaking on the hood and trunk with the IHG and then more when I waxed the trunk. I did not continue waxing as I didn`t want to do something that I would have to undo later.

Any suggestions? Could I have applied too much product (SMR, IHG or wax) or not worked it in good enough before wiping off? I am using MF towels to wipe off all of the residue (different towel for each product).

I did a search, but didn`t come up with any good suggestions that appeared to apply to me.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I have had the same problem with 3m in the past as well.

It could be a few reasons you are streaking

1. You are using to much product. I would suggest the size of a nickel each panel. Hood, roof & trunk about 2 nickels spread out.

2. You are not working the product in good enough.

It may be you are using the right amount but not working it in and not letting in haze. If you rub it off to soon, you are only rubbing it around and not removing it the correct way. You will end up leaving a light layer on the car which can cause streaks.

If you do get streaks, the best way to get rid of them is with some QD. Just spray it right on the panel and wipe.

While detailing be sure to change MF`s often and keep flipping them from side to side to prevent build up.

Hope this helps

NYD

loancoach
03-15-2003, 08:36 PM
I had the same problem with IHG, I read on another post to aplly just a small amount and rub rub rub until its almost dry then let is haze and wipe off. One person said "If you dont apply it right you will hate it more than any other product"

ky-mike
03-15-2003, 09:18 PM
It may be that I was using too much product (SMR) and then not working it until it was fully dry.

I`ll try the QD tomorrow before I put on a coat of wax.

Thanks for the tips.