PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Zymol

bdow99
03-14-2003, 04:44 PM
I`m new here, and pretty new to the concept of detailing a car, but I have a 2003 Toyota 4Runner Ltd. 4wd in Galactic Grey metallic (sort of a bluish grey), and a `03 Toyota Sequioa Ltd in Silver. A friend recommended Zymol (and the Autopia site), so I got some of their Titanium wax, and put it on as soon as I got the cars home from the dealership. I used their HDCleanse and then the Titanium, and was very pleased with the results.

Of course, I purchased the Titanium before I began reading all of the posts here, and I`m not sure what else I need to do to keep these vehicles looking their best. I was also wondering about a random orbital buffer. SInce the Zymol says to melt it in your hand and apply it by hand, is there any way to use, or point in using, a random orbital buffer?

Any suggestions on keeping these at their best would be greatly appreciated, but since I`m very much a novice at this, the more detailed the suggestions, the better for me. I had a black Lexus ES300, and ultimately used Zaino on it, but never had any luck getting swirl marks out of it, and although the finish was very shiney, it didn`t seem to have the depth that I`ve seen from many of the photos on this site. I actually kind of enjoy detailing the cars, and don`t mind putting wax on every 4-6 weeks. I`m looking for the best combination of protection and looks, bearing in mind that I have 2 (yes two) cans of Zymol Titanium.

I know this is long, but I greatly appreciate any help.

bdow99

P.S. Where do I find Pakshak MF towels?

Jngrbrdman
03-14-2003, 05:02 PM
I applied Zymol Vintage to my car by hand and I didn`t like doing it that way very much. I switched to a yellow foam pad about halfway through. Using my hands was wasting too much product I think.

A paste wax isn`t really a wax that goes on with a polisher very smoothly. I`d stick to doing it by hand. I guess you could get creative and figure out a way to put it on with a PC, but its not really going to do much for ya. Zymol doesn`t even recommend using a foam pad so I`m sure there is some sort of blasphemy in using Zymol with a machine. :lol j/k

jcattarulla
03-14-2003, 05:18 PM
Zymol recommends applying their upscale waxes by hand because supposedly the heat from the hand helps melt the wax so that it applies more evenly.

Some people do apply paste wax with a PC: they use a butter knife to spread it on the PC pad.

If you want to know what many here like, one favorite among Carnaubas is P21S paste wax. It costs about $24 and is the easiest to apply (just wipe on and wipe off with a hand pad), lasts a long time, and leaves a great deep rich glow.

Good luck!

2wheelsx2
03-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by bdow99

P.S. Where do I find Pakshak MF towels?

Look at Pakshak site (http://www.pakshak.com)

bunker
03-14-2003, 05:24 PM
I have found that you have to apply Zymol extremely lightly. I think it contains some oils and if you put too much on it smears. I use a very soft foam applicator. Bring it to a warm temperature (i leave it in the sun) if you store it in the fridge before using also. Two VERY light coats are better than one heavy one. Good luck and welcome to the forum.:wavey

Scott

Thomasfl
03-14-2003, 10:16 PM
If you have the Zymol and you are happy with the shine why don`t you stay with it. It seems that Zymol recommends apply by hand for the heat, I would put it out in the sun and warm it up a little hoping that helps it look better. Both of your trucks are a light color also, keep that in mind when searching for new products. If I was you I would keep using the Zymol and continue to hang around here picking up tips and when you see pics of a car that is the way you want your car to be take note of the products. Considering your trucks are new it isn`t completely necessary for you to get a buffer. jcattarulla mentioned the PS21/S100(found at harley dealers for $15), not that many waxes will touch that one regardless of price, but I would advise using a polish before to really enhance the look, well worth the time.

bdow99
03-18-2003, 02:17 PM
Thanks for all of the advice, which was great. Amazing what I`ve learned in the 2 weeks I`ve been reading this site.

Actually, the 4Runner is a dark grey, and I`d like to keep it looking its best. Does the color of the car make a difference in the type of polish which you use? Does the same apply to a glaze?

Thanks.