PDA

View Full Version : Clay Lubricator

LKimura
03-14-2003, 09:27 AM
I`m not a detailer but a car enthusiast and I enjoy reading the posts in this great forum. I have learned a lot from all of you.

I Z`d our `99 Corvette a couple weeks ago using the techniques I learned from this forum. Here are some questions that came to mind based on my learnings.

I Dawn`d the car before claying. I used Mother`s clay bar with their QD and washed the car again using car wash. Then I began to think about what I`ve learned from the forum and washed the car again with Dawn.

PROCESS QUESTION: Since you want to prep the surface properly and keep it as clean as possible, wouldn`t you want to use a Dawn soapy solution to lubricate while you clay. I don`t know what`s in any QD but wouldn`t that leave unnecessary "chemicals" on the surface that you are "rubbing" it into the paint? That`s why I re-washed the car with Dawn. I hope you can follow my logic and I welcome comments to set me straight.

I continue to enjoy this forum and I do learn from you all.

:bow

BradE
03-14-2003, 09:31 AM
You can use car wash mixed with water as a lube, but I would not use Dawn. Using a Dawn based lube tends to create lots of streaks because it does not lubricate very well and the clay tends to grab the surface. Also, Dawn is somewhat strong and tends to make the bar brakedown and turn into mush.

BTW, Welcome to Autopia. :wavey

Scott P
03-14-2003, 09:56 AM
I`ve found carwash and water makes for the best lubricant. The QD method can get quite expensive.

imported_Tony
03-14-2003, 12:15 PM
I like to dawn wash, mothers clay using their showtime QD as a lube and then Klasse AIO. I do not wash after using the mothers kit ,especially if I am using some type of cleaner or polish like AIO. Most like to wash after claying but they use a soap solution as a lube and they do not follow up with a cleaner like AIO.

good luck

This process is very fast, saves a step, bonds well and looks good!

imported_BretFraz
03-14-2003, 12:32 PM
Since you are using Zaino I highly recommend a mix of Z7 and water in a spray bottle. QD`s are fine to use but get a little expensive for claying - you use a lot of lubricant when claying. A Z7 mix is cheap and very slick, makes for a terrific lubricant. Give it a try. :xyxthumbs

Kleanride
03-14-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Scott P

I`ve found carwash and water makes for the best lubricant. The QD method can get quite expensive.

As a product distributor, I would say that it isn`t expensive at all to use QD!

As a fellow Autopian and friend, I would say you are right about water and car wash!

:p

Lowejackson
03-14-2003, 01:52 PM
Welcome to Autopia. I agree with the others, car wash works well.

Steven