PDA

View Full Version : Stripping wax & oils?

Ex_Sport
03-14-2003, 02:38 AM
I just read through a thread about the possibility of dawn liquid soap taking the oils from certain types of plastic materials leaving them vunerable to drying out.... fading maybe?

Is there anything else that I can buy that will strip my wax when needed? I have a few coats on now but once it actually gets warmer out and I start to get into the cleaning of my vehicle I`d like to strip everything bare and clay the vehicle then start using swirl remover and whatnot......

Just wondering what anyone else has used for removing their wax.

imported_BretFraz
03-14-2003, 09:10 AM
Well, I haven`t seen the thread but stating that Dawn dries out plasticizers and can fade paint is excessively alarmist. Yeah, maybe if you washed 1,000,000 times every 5 minutes and let Dawn dwell on the paint continuously it *may* have an effect. Maybe. But maybe the moon is made of chicken wings and Coors Light, know what I mean?

There is nothing wrong with using Dawn for the occassional wash when you want to strip off old wax. Dawn isn`t strong enough to strip off sealants like Klasse and Zaino; you need something like isopropyl alcohol or a body shop prep solvent to make a dent in those products.

If you really want to get down to the bare paint there`s a company called Auto Int`l that sells a 3 step paint neutralization process called ABC. Do a SEARCH here for the ABC system - lots has been written about it. This is much more powerful cleaning than any Dawn wash and its approved by most of the automakers and is used by dealers to clean cars. www.autoint.com should have all the info you want.

So there are plenty of ways to get your paint super clean and ready for the next detail job. As long as you aren`t using aircraft paint stripper or something like that, you will be OK.