PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ever Used Malm`s Polish and Wax?

Dalight
03-13-2003, 11:15 PM
Malm`s Site (http://www.malms.com)

I`m looking for a wax and polish for my 2000 SAAB 9-5 (frost blue). My Dad swears by Malm`s on his red Boxster S. Does anyone have any experience with Malm`s? Is it any good?

I didn`t see it in the reviews, and I didn`t get any hits on the search.

imported_BretFraz
03-14-2003, 09:36 AM
Welcome to Autopia from a fellow `00 9-5 owner :wavey

Malm`s is an "old school" carnauba that doesn`t seem to have changed much since the 70`s. The Wax Test evaluated Malm`s carnauba wax and it finished near the bottom of the 46 products tested. I`ve heard their Formula 10 polish is difficult to apply/remove.

There are so many other great products out there that I personally would not bother with Malm`s but if you have some and want to use it, go for it. But IMO their stuff is pretty damned expensive for the performance you get.

We discuss many different products here so I`d suggest reading posts and roaming thru the archives and detailing articles.

The 9-5`s paint responds very well to polishing and will look terrific with most any of the top quality products. Here`s a pic of my car post-detail with Zaino on it (not the best quality pic but you get the idea):

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/621detailed1-med.jpg

jr_mints
03-14-2003, 10:01 AM
I used Malms for years and then went to Griots Best of Show which was quite a bit better but was much harder to remove. In the meantime tried Blitz, Zaino among others then I found Collinite. WOW, very easy to apply and remove and it outlasts everything I`ve tried.

The Malms was a good wax in its time but there are definitely much better products on the market that you will be much happier with, IMHO.

Regards,

LOTA OT
03-14-2003, 10:10 AM
I think the Malm`s following must be a Porche thing. My dad likes to use it on his 911 too. I tried their polish/cleaner (can`t remember the exact product name, but i think it was the Formula 10) and honestly it wasn`t bad at all. Pretty easy to use and buff off and left a nice slick surface (granted it was on a 2 month old car that was in good shape). I think gave similar results to SEPC, but not as easy to use. Was a good prep for S100 wax.

I`ve never looked at their site until now and honestly had no idea how much the stuff cost. It`s way overpriced. You`d get much better results with the S100 line of products at a much lower price.

Michael

Accumulator
03-14-2003, 10:41 AM
BDawg- I have extensive experience with Malm`s (from back in the day) and as the others have said, you can do far better. Their regular polish is an OK general purpose abrasive polish, but IMO, it`s a bit strong for regular use. Their #10 is milder and has some fillers, but it really IS tough to use (if your finish isn`t new/already pretty good) and doesn`t work as well as stuff like GEPC. Their wax is nothing special. It`s "soft", it doesn`t have either the optical clarity or the "pop" of better waxes, it doesn`t last long, but it does "build up" if you aply it frequently. Yes, a liquid carnauba that "layers", but it`s not a good thing. One good thing about the wax is that it doesn`t stain rubber/black trim, but still, I`d pass. I DO pass...my Malm`s stuff is gathering dust.

Dalight
03-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by mpauly

I think the Malm`s following must be a Porche thing. My dad likes to use it on his 911 too.

Maybe because it has something to Malm`s advertising in Porsche`s magazine (which my dad reads fanatically).

Perhaps I`ll try Zaino or Blackfire (which I`ve also heard good things about).

Dalight
03-14-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by bretfraz

Welcome to Autopia from a fellow `00 9-5 owner :wavey

Nice looking car! Here my most recent picture (planning on taking a trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains soon to get some nicer pictures). Sorry, no image editor at work to crop it down... :(

http://www.centraldogma.org/byron/saab_wax.jpg

imported_BretFraz
03-14-2003, 12:27 PM
Your car looks sweet!! I like that color, very elegant.

I see you`re using Bridgestone Turanza LS-H`s. How do you like them over the OE Michelin? I`ve got Bridgestoene Potenza RE950`s and am really happy but I seriously considered the Turanza`s too.

One styling suggestion, if I may? Buy the smoke-colored fender lights and replace the orange ones. That was the first mod I did to my 9-5 and they look very cool. You can get them from www.saabcatalog.com or try a dealer like Taliaferro or a place like eEuroparts.com. Just an idea....

See ya on the road!! :up

Dalight
03-14-2003, 07:25 PM
Actually, mine are the Potenza RE950s also. :) They`re one of the better H rated tires I`ve used, good handling, decent treadwear, and not too expensive.

Had someone described the color to me, I`m not sure I would have liked it, but after seeing it, I love the blue/grey metallic.

I`d actually thought about replacing them with some of the clear ones; I`ve never seen the smoke ones, how do they look lit? The only reason I haven`t pulled the trigger yet is I haven`t decided I don`t like the orange yet. :)

The next item on the SAAB list is a euro plate for the front, or maybe the turbine wheels if the wife gives an okay. ;)

Jon P. Nusbaum
03-14-2003, 07:44 PM
:nixweis

Ok, Guys, I`ve used Zaino,Blackfire11,Soveran,Moose,and Groits waxes.

Malms yes is an old standard,but I still go back to it. It is yes hard to polish out,but is you have put a good polish on before application,no glaxes, it does have a real natural glow to it. You are right, it only lasts about a month,but if it is your own ride your redueing it every month anyway. It doesn`t appear to be that soft. It is a standard that I still to this day use and like. I use a Porter to polish out and if you put an effort in, it does have depth and gloss.