PDA

View Full Version : Best(& cost effective) QD over Zaino

audio1der
03-13-2003, 02:53 PM
I`ve ordered the Z18 and Z6 along with my Z1/Z2, but was wondering if the Mothers Showtime or Meg`s QD would be an appropriate QD over Zaino.

I like to QD after most washes, ans sometimes before a show or car meet.

I`d like to save the Z6 for polishing if I can, due to availability, and shipping.

TIA,

Audio

Lemonxxs
03-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Might want to search for this one as there are many ideas on this subject.........Good Luck.

Steve @ Guru
03-13-2003, 03:05 PM
I agree with GMN (re: search), but I`ll chime in with a few ideas/thoughts -

1) Z is pretty cost effective if you use it properly. Less is more when it comes to using Zaino; I just finally (after about 14 months) used up my first bottle of Z6....14 months on $9.95 is pretty good, if you ask me! :D

2) If you`re really trying to `stretch it` - try mixing/dilluting the Z6 with distilled water. A 50/50 mix of water and Z6 should help it last even longer. Many people use this trick when they`re concerned about putting too much Z6 on the car.

imported_memnuts
03-13-2003, 03:24 PM
I have used Duragloss`s QD when I used Zaino for daily QD`ing and Z6 between washes once a week. Very compatible and locally available. It actually even swells like Z6 but are different products.

You might e-mail Clearkote (Everett) and question him about using their product over Zaino. It is suppose to be silicone, wax-free (including carnuaba), and alcohol free. Very cost effective vs Z6 (Quick Shine $15 + shipping for 32oz. It is also available in one gallon sizes). But if you order 2 Z6`s per order the cost evens out.

Also I highly suggest getting some Z7. This shampoo really helps rejuveniate that Zaino finish.:wavey

old_gonzo
03-13-2003, 04:03 PM
Well, I don`t really care for either the Meguiar`s or the Mother`s as a non-carnauba based QD spray.

If I were looking for a readily available QD spray that would be compatible with Zaino, I would use Eagle One`s QD spray. I think it does a very nice job (provides more gloss than the above 2) and is reasonably priced for more regular use. :up

autohubgroupph
03-13-2003, 09:06 PM
ClearKote Quik shine $38/gallon.

imported_Kyle
03-14-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by geekysteve

If you`re really trying to `stretch it` - try mixing/dilluting the Z6 with distilled water. A 50/50 mix of water and Z6 should help it last even longer. Many people use this trick when they`re concerned about putting too much Z6 on the car.

wow never thought about this. even 50/50 works as QD? no problem?

DETAILKING
03-14-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by geekysteve

I agree with GMN (re: search), but I`ll chime in with a few ideas/thoughts -

1) Z is pretty cost effective if you use it properly. Less is more when it comes to using Zaino; I just finally (after about 14 months) used up my first bottle of Z6....14 months on $9.95 is pretty good, if you ask me! :D

2) If you`re really trying to `stretch it` - try mixing/dilluting the Z6 with distilled water. A 50/50 mix of water and Z6 should help it last even longer. Many people use this trick when they`re concerned about putting too much Z6 on the car.

Steve took the words right out of my mouth.....

Scott P
03-14-2003, 12:26 PM
I use a 50:50 concentration as the QD, but use it full strength when applying layers of Zaino.

imported_memnuts
03-14-2003, 03:26 PM
:confused:

Purchase full quality protectant and QD but maintain with half quality QD between washes when there are full quality equivalent locally available or web full quality equivalents at a better cost. Correct me if I am wrong, but is Zaino so family specific that one is locked into diluting stock in lieu of using other products? I have never diluted my Z6 because I loved it the way its was manufactured and performs full strength. The most important feature to me for any QD is its surfactant and lubricants, not the gloss or shine rejuveniation . Diluting these important features seem to defeat the purpose - safe finish maintainance between washes. This may work on lighter colors but on black I require maximum performance (protection) from all my products, especially QD`s. Ones only protection between the light surface grime is the functional components in the QD. Diluting would seem to half that protection.

If one must conserve Z6 it would seem more appropriate to use a 50:50 dilution prior to a Z2/5 application ( this step is optional and surface should be perfectly clean) and the full strength for "real" QD`ing.:nixweiss

Please correct me if I am completely off base.

:wavey

Nick T.
03-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Some (many?) QD’s contain at least some alcohol, and Zaino does not like alcohol. A little alcohol will cause Zaino to haze and smudge, a lot will remove the Zaino.

imported_memnuts
03-15-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Nick T.

Some (many?) QD’s contain at least some alcohol, and Zaino does not like alcohol. A little alcohol will cause Zaino to haze and smudge, a lot will remove the Zaino.

True. That is why Mother`s was not mentioned. Great QD but not sure if it contains alcohol or not (Forrest?). Mother`s works great for all my other sealants and carnuabas

Duragloss and Clearkote Quickshine state no alcohol( not personally verified by MSDS analysis). Perfectly, compatible to be used with Zaino from my experiences.

Because of the strong system requirements of Zaino products and my quest to find the "holy grail" of the ultimate appearance was the reason I moved on from Zaino. I was just too limited on what and what not to be ( glaze or not to glaze, top or not to top). For my daily driver (silver Excort) this was the perfect protectant. Long durability, light color where depth was not required, surface marring hidden by light color and the ease of application. I have used Duragloss ( Quick Shine only for the good toys) of this car for over a year ( 3 applications of Z2/5) and durability has not been effected.

In a perfect world I would recommend using only full-strength Z6 with Zaino polishes. Why cheat the system?:wavey

audio1der
03-18-2003, 02:53 PM
Thank you, all.:up

I guess I will just suck it up, and use full-strength Z6 unless I run into smudging problems.

It will provide me with an excuse to reorder, possibly with more products.(still Zaino)