PDA

View Full Version : Baja Sol?!?!?!

Pages : [1] 2

procareman50
03-12-2003, 10:46 PM
Hey Folks:

Got a "Lambs Wool" mitt at Target from Baja Sol.....passed the CD scratch test. Did great on the Bimmer silver!!! Anyone used these before. They had some Chenile mitts too, but I wanted to try lambs wool....I know it is not lamb skin that Taxlady had mentioned on another thread. The only drawback so far is that after drying it in the dryer, the "skin" on the inside still took 2 days to completely dry????:nixweiss

chevyguy28
03-12-2003, 11:04 PM
Now, people are really going to knock on me for this, but I tried these out and they work just fine. They haven`t scratched as of yet. The only real drawback I could come up with is that they tend to lose some of the softness they had when new, but this is true of any wash mitt of this kind. If you are happy with it, then so be it.

George M.
03-12-2003, 11:06 PM
I actually havent tried Baja Sol. I have seen them at Target, they sell Knockoff CCD and CWB. They have alot of Chamoises and they sell 3 pack MFs for like 10 bucks. Way too much. I never tried them, they are like the store brand of detailing supplies.. Id prefer to buy from companies who have proven trustworthy.

mcarp22
03-12-2003, 11:09 PM
Actually I just got some of the MF`s on clearance today and they arent worth the savings, did pretty bad on the CD test

procareman50
03-12-2003, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I would tend to agree with you Roderigo, but the lamb wool just felt so soft....I bought it and did a CD test, and it passed. I guess I will do the CD test before every wash. I AM ordering a Sheepskin one from CMA though to cover my A$$.:D

shaf
03-13-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by bmw530i2003

The only drawback so far is that after drying it in the dryer, the "skin" on the inside still took 2 days to completely dry????:nixweiss If you mean the leather on the inside of the mitt, then this is the right kind of lambswool/sheepskin mitt. The leather means it`s real fur. :up I hang mine up to dry by one side of the cuff using clothes pins. That way the inside opens up and gets to dry out. Otherwise, yes it can take a while to dry.

One thing I like about buying sheepskin mitts locally is that you can check their quality (some are softer than others) and its material content isn`t questionable like so many "cotton" chenille mitts out there.

imported_chr9s
03-13-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by bmw530i2003

Hey Folks:

Got a "Lambs Wool" mitt at Target from Baja Sol.....passed the CD scratch test. Did great on the Bimmer silver!!! Anyone used these before. They had some Chenile mitts too, but I wanted to try lambs wool....I know it is not lamb skin that Taxlady had mentioned on another thread. The only drawback so far is that after drying it in the dryer, the "skin" on the inside still took 2 days to completely dry????:nixweiss

Don`t get the chenille mitt. You`ll regret it once you get it wet - you`ll be able to see the rough backing, and also see how loosely packed the chenille strands are. I got some of their terry applicators though and they seem to be holding up.

procareman50
03-13-2003, 01:26 AM
OH NO!!! I will NOT get the chenile mitt....I learned my lesson with the non cotton labeled Viking one from Autozone....no problems with it, just doesn`t really hold up well on the CD test.

procareman50
03-13-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

If you mean the leather on the inside of the mitt, then this is the right kind of lambswool/sheepskin mitt.

To be honest, it looks like leather, but I have no proof anywhere that it is....it doesn`t say it on the package and I can see any logo on the skin on the inside, but I must say it looks and feels like leather.....:confused: :confused:

imported_chr9s
03-13-2003, 01:34 AM

If you mean the leather on the inside of the mitt, then this is the right kind of lambswool/sheepskin mitt. The leather means it`s real fur. :up I hang mine up to dry by one side of the cuff using clothes pins. That way the inside opens up and gets to dry out. Otherwise, yes it can take a while to dry.

One thing I like about buying sheepskin mitts locally is that you can check their quality (some are softer than others) and its material content isn`t questionable like so many "cotton" chenille mitts out there.

I hope this is not too off topic, but I came across a lambswool mitt like you mention - with a leather lining the inside of the mitt. My question though is that when I read the small tag sewn on the inside of the cuff, it said 90something percent polyester. Is this a bogus lambswool mitt?

Does the outside surface of those "good quality" lambswool mitts really made out of wool fabric, or are they just being called "lambswool" or "sheepskin" wihtout necessarily having to be truly made of the said material?

procareman50
03-13-2003, 01:39 AM
Hey, I just looked at the tag inside the Baja Sol "Lamb Wool" (as titled), and it says Genuine Sheepskin!!! Made in China.

I guess it must be the real thing,......makes me feel a little better.:xyxthumbs

Spilchy
03-13-2003, 09:00 AM
I use Baja terry applicator pads for interior dressings and I use the chenille wash pad for my wheels. Both work fine.

shaf
03-13-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by jduarte

I hope this is not too off topic, but I came across a lambswool mitt like you mention - with a leather lining the inside of the mitt. My question though is that when I read the small tag sewn on the inside of the cuff, it said 90something percent polyester. Is this a bogus lambswool mitt?

Does the outside surface of those "good quality" lambswool mitts really made out of wool fabric, or are they just being called "lambswool" or "sheepskin" wihtout necessarily having to be truly made of the said material? Hmm, I don`t know about the tag. Maybe it`s referring to the construction of the cuff itself? :nixweiss

All the mitts I`ve seen have basically looked and felt like a couple of soft fur pelts stitched together. I would think it would be not very cost effective to simulate both the wool hairs and somehow embed them in a material that simulates leather. :nixweiss It`s usually really easy to tell apart the "wool" or simulated wool mitts from the real sheepskin mitts because the latter are a golden brown colour and look like a shiny fur coat. The wool or simulated wool ones I`ve seen tend to be a shade of yellow, tan, pink, etc. and are kind of "fuzzy" looking.

I like to call the mitts I`m talking abot "sheepskin" because you can still have "wool" without being attached to the leather skin and who knows if that`s really pure wool or not?

Iconoclast
03-13-2003, 04:43 PM

It`s usually really easy to tell apart the "wool" or simulated wool mitts from the real sheepskin mitts because the latter are a golden brown colour and look like a shiny fur coat. The wool or simulated wool ones I`ve seen tend to be a shade of yellow, tan, pink, etc. and are kind of "fuzzy" looking.

The Baja Sheepskin mits are the golden brown color which further supports that they are sheepskin.

It is impossible :angry to get the 100% cotton Viking chenille mits around here, so I switched to the Baja Sheepskin mit. I keep it in water so it doesn`t stiffen up. I`ve been using it several months now with no problem.

Dancing Peacock
04-22-2003, 02:09 AM
Sorry for the old thread bump, but I was just there today and was wondering about the CCD that Baja Sol makes. Is it the same one that is talked about here just rebadged, or is it a knockoff? The head is kind of a dark gray.

I bought the dash CCD, it was only 3 bucks, figured I`d give it a shot. It left some lint from the strings on the dash, but it did pick up the other dust that was there previously. Before I started reading here, I got the car washed and waxed, and they used Armor-all.:( I`ve learned my lesson now, thanks to the site

I looked at the mitt, but close enough to check the inside. It sounds like you guys agree that it`s really sheepskin, I might just pick one up. I needed a sun shade for the car, which ended up being too big, so I`ll probably grab the mitt then.

Iconoclast - do you just keep yours in a bucket of water? Do you think it would be bad to let it dry out each time it was washed and then thoroughly wet it before use?

First post :)