PDA

View Full Version : New here, need tips!

blown5.0
03-12-2003, 09:58 PM
Hi guys, im new here. Im a newbie at detailing my car but have various products. The weather is gettiing warm and i was thinking of detailing my exterior as follows:

clay bar

dawn

meguiars scratch x

meguiars gold class

Both meguiars products will be applied using a random orbital buffer. I have never used this buffer before, is there a special way to put it on or can i just go up down, left right at a slow pace? Any help and tips would be appreciated.

crooper
03-12-2003, 10:10 PM
you`ll want to wash before you clay.

as for the scratchx, if you`re doing it by a random orbit buffer, you might want to consider other scratch removal products specifically aimed for use on such a machine. 3m`s SMR or Meguiar`s #9 or DACP depending on how bad your finish is.

blown5.0
03-12-2003, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the reply. My finish is pretty good. But when its washed and no polish or wax is appplied , you can see fine scratches in my paint. Should i just apply the scratch X by hand then?

Thomasfl
03-12-2003, 10:32 PM
A question with your random orbital buffer, if it is one of those 9 or 10 inch ones from walmart or autoparts stores, it is no problem to use but remember it isn`t doing anything you can`t do by hand just helping make it a little easier and faster. By the way that Gold Class wax takes about a week or one rainfall before you lose your shine.

shaf
03-13-2003, 12:42 AM
You might also want to think about using a glaze prior to waxing. The cleaners/no cleaners argument about Gold Class is old, but it still may make an improvement - especially on black. Mothers glaze is a good product, and there`s a fairly recent thread either here or in the University about their carnauba wax too. Gold Class is generally considered to be good looking, but short-lived.

blown5.0
03-13-2003, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the replies guys!

I heard that gold class did not last that long. I t just feels like a waste because I have a bottle full of it in my garage. I was thinking of getting zaino, but it is sort of on the expensive side, and also, I would not want to use a buffer with zaino because, they give you so little. Can anyone recommend a good wax/polish for the dollar, or should i just use the gold class?

switerajaya
03-13-2003, 11:36 AM
My suggestion is s100 wax and the accompany product Shine Enhancing Cleanser which you`d apply prior to the S100. These can be purchased locally at Harley Davidson Dealerships.

shaf
03-13-2003, 03:37 PM
I don`t know what your planned detailing schedule is, but if you own Gold Class already you might as well use it unless you want to try something new. Most Autopians can`t keep their hands off their cars anyway, so short life isn`t usually a problem! :D

The S100 Cleanser Pecs McCoy mentioned is a highly rated polish too (as is the wax). Use this or the Mothers glaze after fixing up your scratches/swirls.

Belated welcome to Autopia too. :)