PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Zaino and Pinnacle ?

SK2003TypeS
03-12-2003, 02:18 PM
I plan to go the Zaino route. I ordered ZFX, Z2, Z5, Z6 and Z7.

I have Pinnacle PolyClay (haven`t used it yet). Going to use foam

applicators, MF and 100% Fieldcrest towels. Plan to use dawn as well.

I`m reading/learning more about the polishing stage and it seems like this step is extremely important. I was thinking of getting Pinnacle Paintwork cleaner.

Is it a bad idea to mix products ? Should I just stick with the Z5

as the "polish". From what I gather, the Z5 isn`t a true polish.

Also when all is said and done, is it safe to use Z6 as a QD or can I use Pinnacle or Meguiar`s Final Inspection.

I`m guessing that manufactuer`s say "use only our products..." for marketing. Just concerned about the effects on the finish.

It`s a 2003 Acura TL Type-S and is 5 months old now (from when I picked it up).

Thanks

8ball
03-12-2003, 02:37 PM
I don`t think there is a problem "mixing" products, as in using PPC before Z. I haven`t used PPC, but I have used #9 2.0 before Z, and it`s a good idea to wash after the #9 to remove oils and ensure proper bonding of the Z. As for the Z6 or another QD, I`d stick with the Z6, `cause the stuff is great.

I have used nothing but #9 and Z products on my Type S since it was new (8/01; I save my experiments for other cars), and have always been pleased with the results, but I`m about to try GEPC/S100 or VM/S100, given the rave reviews of late.

Hope your liking the Type S. I love mine.

SK2003TypeS
03-13-2003, 11:54 AM
8ball,

Just curious, do you use #9 with PC or ROB ? I`m planning to do everything by hand. I have an old ROB from Sears which I use to use on my old car for just waxing and buffing. I`m hesitant to use it with my new car though for fear of creating swirl marks if not done properly.

Do you dilute the Z6 when you use it as a QD ?

Lovin` the Type S. Are you on the TL forum as well ?

Thanks for the info.

Nick T.
03-13-2003, 01:31 PM
There should be no problem using Pinnacle PolyClay as your first step since the clay doesn’t leave any residue of its own on the paint. Do wash after claying to remove any loose debris.

Many QD’s contain alcohol, and Zaino does not like alcohol. It can cloud or remove the Zaino. I’d stick with Z-6.

8ball
03-13-2003, 01:33 PM
I use the PC for #9, with the white or yellow CMA pads, depending on the job.

I also use the PC to apply Z, with the grey CMA pad. Works great. I can get very thin application - 3 coats per ounce. Wipes off like nothing when dry.

I`ve never diluted Z6, either as a QD or when I use it to moisten the grey PC pad.

SK2003TypeS
03-13-2003, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

I plan to wash after the clay. And will use Z6 as a QD. Looking at it now, it doesn`t seem too bad (price), so I won`t dilute it.

btw: Nick T, nice write up on the Zaino tips & tricks in the Detailing section. It`s another great guide I`ve printed out for this process.

Still a newb at this so I don`t plan on getting into the PC seen....yet.