PDA

View Full Version : Subsitute for a water blade - A Towel pulled across the car surface?

sheltem
03-12-2003, 08:12 AM
Hi, guys you all know there is a thing called the water blade but I was thinking ... if we roll a towel up and streach it across the car surface and drag it so that it pulls the water off ... Do you think it would work?

Would it trap any dirt and scratch the car surface? Just a thought :D

Or any items that can be found to subsitute the water blade? :D

Not that I am "cheap" but the water blade does not come cheap here lolz :D

Preachers Sheets
03-12-2003, 08:21 AM
I just lay a huge towel over my car and pat it. It picks up the water and I don`t need to drag anything over my paint.

It usally works great, the spring the air dries the rest of the water if any is left behind quickly and without water spots.

sheltem
03-12-2003, 09:21 AM
I tried that b4 but I find that after sometime the towel is too wet and too much water is trapped in the towel.

Even when the towel is dry I find that the amt of water left behind will still tend to leave water spot ... Do you tend to have this problem? Maybe I am doing something wrong ...

How about those verticle places? Still using the towel and patting dry??

02 LTZ
03-12-2003, 11:10 AM
I was looking on ebay yesterday and saw where someone had a CWB for sale $5.00) plus $4.00 S/H.

Thought that was a pretty good price since they are about $20.00 at Wal-mart.

Oops, just looked at your post again...you are in Singapore

SORRY! I guess you don`t have a Wal-mart there, right?

sheltem
03-12-2003, 12:05 PM
Nope we don`t :D

Any easier way to dry a car ;p

We have NO HOSE to use too hehe

Jngrbrdman
03-12-2003, 12:17 PM
What are you using to dry with now? You say a towel... what kind? Is it a waffle weave microfiber towel? If you haven`t used one of those before then I would suggest looking for one. You probably won`t find it in any store but you can order it online. I don`t know who ships out to singapore though. Its funny, they probably come from there anyway. :lol

The waffle weave microfiber towel has retired many water blades around Autopia. It sucks up water much better. If your car is well waxed then you don`t really need a blad on anything but the windows anyway. Dragging a towel across the surface isn`t the best idea. Laying a towel down flat and letting it soak it up and then blotting off the rest is probably a better way. `Blotting` is just patting the car with the towel to pick up extra water without actually having to drag it across the surface. Its pretty effective.

thevolvoguy
03-12-2003, 12:39 PM
A more readily found alternative is The Absorber towel. It is a synthetic chamios and is good for absorbing large amounts of water.

To dry, I usually place the flat towel on the surface to get most of the water off, and then follow by buffing w/ a MF.

Works for me. :xyxthumbs

medic
03-12-2003, 03:09 PM
i use the cwb, followed by the absorber, followed by a mf. it`s a great combo, but does take some time

The cwb works great on large pannels, but for the bumper and under the spoiler I need to use a cloth - just going the MF route would be a lot of MFs just for drying.

ktcircle
03-12-2003, 03:23 PM
I love the CWB. Coupled with a MF or chamois (spelling?) works great. You can get CWB`s at Costco for $11.95 along with CCD for $12.95.

sheltem
03-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Is the BIG BLUE TOWEL a MF towel? I read that it can be used to dry the whole car without the towel even feeling wet ... Why would we then need so many MF towels to dry a car? :D

Jngrbrdman
03-12-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by tradertt

Is the BIG BLUE TOWEL a MF towel? I read that it can be used to dry the whole car without the towel even feeling wet ... Why would we then need so many MF towels to dry a car? :D

Exactly! I use the BBT and that`s it. It works amazingly well. The guys who are still using absorbers don`t know what they are missing. I loved my absorber till I found the BBT. Now my absorber is used for engine drying only.

The only thing I use my other towels for is buffing wax and polish off. The reason I need so many of them is so I don`t have to wash them every day. I can just wait a week or two and then wash them all together. Its the same reason you have more than one bathtowel. :D

thevolvoguy
03-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

The guys who are still using absorbers don`t know what they are missing.

Hmmm... hey Tony, ill trade you my Absorber for your BBT, that way you can just have all absorbers. It will be better for you I promise *sarcastic tone* :)

:p