PDA

View Full Version : Swirl mark removal process?

Ex_Sport
03-12-2003, 01:27 AM
Hey guys. Tomorrow its supposed to be nice (almost 70!...good for March in Missouri) I was hoping I could get the X washed, & waxed while removing swirl marks. I`ve never done this as I`ve never really had a vehicle that was good enough to do it on.

So below is my list of what I think I should do. Someone correct what I have wrong so I can do this RIGHT!!

1. Dawn dish soap to remove all old wax

2. Wash with car soap, rinse & dry

3. Apply swirl mark remover (How many coats?)

4. Polish

5. Wax (How many coats?)

I`m not really sure but I think that`s right except I`m not sure if polish would go on before or after the wax. I would think before so that the wax holds the shine better.....if anyone knows different for my list please correct it.

What should I use when washing, drying, waxing and buffing off all this stuff? Should I use microfiber all around or what?

I heard that when applying swirl remover to move in a straight line from the front of the vehicle to the back instead of circular motions......is this what will remove my swirl marks??? If not what does?

Thanks for your help!

Anthony O.
03-12-2003, 01:54 AM
Ex,

Welcome to the forum.

If the swirls are real bad or heavy then you will need a polisher. I prefer to use a high speed polisher as I am not convinced that a orbital, like the Porter Cable, has the umph to remove and repair the swirled finish.

Some products can remove the swirls and others hide them. Do a search on the site for the best method for you.

As for your process I see no reason to wash with Dawn and then wash again with car soap. Just wash the car, with Dawn if you feel it`s needed, dry it and then go to the cleaning/polishing stage.

It will be difficult to give a real indepth process because what you may see as "mild" swirls another may see as severe and use a different mode of attack. I personally would use a medium grit cleaner with a polishing pad then move to a mild polish with a polishing pad, glaze if needed and then seal with a sealant and/or wax.

If doing by hand then you should do the cleaning and polishing in back and forth motions and if possible use MF towels and applicators. I am sure others here will chime in also.

Good luck and post some pics when done.

Anthony

nate010753
03-12-2003, 07:53 AM
I wouldn`t use the dawn unless I was going to clay. A step that you may want to consider. It is part of the prep work that makes the paints finish much smoother. I would certainly recommend that you add this step.

If you want to use a SMR then so that next again if you choose not to clay this step will remove any unwanted left over wax so there is no need to dawn if you won`t be claying. See if you can get or borrow a pc as it will make life much easier and it easy to use. Get a good polish next to add back the shine that you removed with the SMR. Then top that off with your wax and your all set.

How many coats is up to you. At this point I would just add one. then add another every other week. I`d try for every week because I like to throw on a coat of wax everytime I wash the car. It may be over kill though.

Inbetween waxings you may want to use a QD. This is what I do in the wintertime. Good luck

:xyxthumbs

Accumulator
03-12-2003, 11:13 AM
Ex_Sport- Welcome to Autopia. I agree with Anthony Orosco about not bothering with the second (car soap) wash, just clay instead. dengsxr`s right, it`s a good step to add.

Yep, you apply the polish/Swirl Mark Remover before the wax, and back and forth strokes are preferred over circular ones. With the SMR, you apply it until the swirls are diminished enough to satisfy you. You might need a separate polish after the SMR, you might not. Hard to say without knowing what you`re dealing with and what products you`re gonna use.

If you`re gonna use a wax (as opposed to a sealant), which one you use will determine if more than one coat is worth the effort.

Yes, get some (GOOD) MF towels. They are definitely the way to go.

ashsarna
03-12-2003, 12:35 PM
I agree with everyone here. THe only thing I want to say is that I have not used dawn before (and really no need for it with access to good paint cleaners if needed) and have succeeded in my tasks :D !!

imported_Kyle
03-12-2003, 03:49 PM
question, I have many layers of Zaino.

I`m planning to apply #9 but you saying that I can just apply #9 on over zaino? I thought I need to remove zaino.

TortoiseAWD
03-12-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by MildSeven

question, I have many layers of Zaino.

I`m planning to apply #9 but you saying that I can just apply #9 on over zaino? I thought I need to remove zaino. The mild abrasives in #9 will remove the Z for you; no need to do the Z removal in a separate step . . .

Tort