PDA

View Full Version : Cut polish or not on my S2000?

Pages : [1] 2

dale 3
03-11-2003, 06:30 PM
I`ve visited a few detailers and their ideas are kind of mixed. Some said you should never cut polish today`s car becoz the water base paint is very sensitive. And it is not recommend on car with clearcoat. ex my s2000.. But at least two detailers say the only way to go is to CUT polish.

Since I am a inexperience to detailing, what would you guys suggest me to do?

http://www.sfu.ca/~kfcho/DSC02650.JPG

dale 3
03-11-2003, 06:50 PM
Besides.. my stupid dealer who did the mess said just waxing can fix the problem.

Is that true or not?

bjwebster
03-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Thats some rotary marks definetly. Wax wont fix that, it might help temporarily hide them, but they will come back. IMO, the only solution is to polish them out with something abrasive.

bjwebster
03-11-2003, 07:18 PM
btw..

was the car delivered this way?

Was it new?

Those are some pretty harsh marks..

Andre'
03-11-2003, 07:20 PM
WOW:eek: Those are the worst buffer induced swirls i have ever seen.

The only way to remove them is to buff them out using a fine compound, than a fine glaze/swirlmark remover.You will need a rotary polisher or a good random orbit polisher, like the Porter Cable 7424 to polish out the swirls.

Wax will only cover up the swirls, not remove them.

Preachers Sheets
03-11-2003, 07:36 PM
They are bad but nothing that can`t be fixed with a little polish.

If you have a rotary, go with a soft pad and some 3M Swirl Remover, the stuff works really well with a rotary.

If you have a Porter Cable, use a yellow pad (firm pad) and 3M Perfect It-II rubbing compound. The Porter Cable doesn`t work that well so I try to use a stronger product/pad combo.

You can get those marks out :xyxthumbs

dale 3
03-11-2003, 08:19 PM
1st, the car was new and delivery that way. (I accept the car becoz it was in indoor and i couldnt see any of these).

"fine compound,3M Swirl Remover, and 3M Perfect It-II rubbing compound" I am really a rookie.. does these mean "cut polish" ?

Tim Lingor
03-11-2003, 08:43 PM
I would not interchange the terms cut polish and compounding. To me, these are different animals. I think of cut polish as the old "sand in a bottle" whereas some of the modern compounds are a lot better to use(though still quite dangerous!!) In that sense, I would not cut polish the car. I would us a cutting/leveling pad with some DACP or FI-II to get rid of the marks!!!

I would ask to see examples of the detailers work and a thorough explanation that is satisfactory to you before I would let someone near that nice car!!

dale 3
03-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Pls dont scare me.. are fixing these swirls dangerous?

Tim Lingor
03-11-2003, 11:30 PM
No no, I do not think that it dangerous!! I think that with the right detailer the marks will be removed quite easily!!:up

I only suggested that you check out some of their work in order to ease your mind!!:)

Patrick
03-11-2003, 11:41 PM
Fixing them isnt the dangerous part....But not knowing how to is....Take these recommendations for what there worth, gold....Its a shame you didnt see those b4....shame on the dealer for even selling it to you like that....Is it new ?

If you dont have an orbital (PC), you can buy some time, and reduce the appearance, even by hand....Dawn wash...3M SMR, (this takes the edge bite off the swirl)top to bottom on side panels, front to back on horizontals, 3M IHG, same process (this help hide the swirl with fillers)...Then your going to need to seal with your choice of many sealants/carnaubas...I would go with a polymer for durability, and give it a couple, few coats (layers).....

Some you will see talked about on here are Platinum, Blackfire (my fav), Klasse....After the Polymer, go with a couple carnauba coats for additional longevity.....Your really going to need to protect the swirls from becoming exposed again.....

Preachers Sheets
03-12-2003, 08:28 AM
Where do you live, if your near Boston, MA then I`ll take care of them with you, we`ll get that car looking awesome.

Fixing swirls are not dangerous, if your using a Rotary at VERY high speeds with a VERY hard brush and a VERY abrasive product then you need to know what your doing. If you use common sense (don`t take this the wrong way) and use what most people use on this web site to correct a blemish like that then you will be 100% safe.

Your all set.

A polish is a weaker product deisgned to maintain semi new cars and remove small defects like minor water spots and small swirls.

A compound is basically a polish on steriods, alot stronger. It`s used to remove serious defects but because it is so strong, SOME times it can leave swirls marks behind. To correct this you just need to pass over the surface with a mild polish.

Let me know if this helped or if your looking for more info. Thats a great car and the sooner it`s fixed the better it will be.

dale 3
03-13-2003, 01:01 AM
Too bad i live in the west coast :(..

I took it to a well known detailer for estmation today,, he said it will cost about USD200, is this reasonable?

tiffin72
03-13-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by kfcho

I took it to a well known detailer for estmation today,, he said it will cost about USD200, is this reasonable?

Is that a full detail job?? including interior??

where did you end up taking it to? I thought the dealership is paying for the cost. Hope you will get it back perfect.

iceman
03-13-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by kfcho

Isn`t the dealership picking up the tab? If so, go wherever you saw the best work done regardless of cost. I hope the best quality work you can find is also among the the most expensive. That way, the dealership will feel more pain monetarily and will hopefully learn to never do that again to anyone else`s car.:angry