PDA

View Full Version : Removing Decals, pinstripes etc...

Jake11375
03-11-2003, 11:58 AM
Any one have paint safe method of removing dealer decals/logos? They are flat stickers type not the raised chrome or aluminum. Part of it has come off and I never really liked it back there anyway. It now says "Steve Bailey Hon". I did a search on the net and about.com and some say goo gone should do the trick. Thanks for any advice.

imported_Luster
03-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Use a hair dryer. (NOT A HEAT GUN!).....

The glue on the decals becomes very soft under heat. They will peel right off. Don`t use your fingernail or you will scratch the clearcoat.

Then use Goo Gone to clean up the left over glue.

I`ve done this many times. Works great.

Obviously, get a good coat of wax or sealant on that area afterwards.

Jake11375
03-11-2003, 12:20 PM
Thanks Luster,

Sounds easy enough. The tips I read were right except they left out the blowdryer part. I imagine that makes a pretty big difference. Thanks again!:xyxthumbs

Accumulator
03-11-2003, 12:24 PM
Jake11375 - yeah, what Luster said :xyxthumbs. Also, you can try running some waxed dental floss behind the sticker to help separate it from the paint (as you would with a chrome emblem) while you`re heating and pulling. A few extra hands helps with this..

Oh, almost forgot- be prepared to use some SMR before waxing/sealing as the decal will probably leave some "ghosting"-type outline.

luvthong
04-28-2004, 12:11 PM
I am on the same boat, but my sticker has been on the car for a good old 5 years in Cali. I will try to blowdryger and the Stoner`s tar remover and see what will it do.

Matt M, PA
04-28-2004, 01:51 PM
As a last resort, you could try (I think) 3M`s "eraser". It goes on a drill or grinder and erases the vinyl emblem without (supposedly) harming the paint. My local body shop uses one of these on occaision.

luke667
04-28-2004, 02:01 PM
sounds dangerous to paint...