PDA

View Full Version : Scratched the section of my car that I used DACP on

Pages : [1] 2

blk96gt
03-10-2003, 09:10 PM
I`m not sure why it happend, the pad was clean, I had just wiped off the panel I was using it on, and I applied it unil it was dry. I thought it was doing a pretty good job, so I went and go the flouresent(sp?) light and shined it on the panel, and there are scratches where I used the stuff. I have no idea what I did wrong. So then I took some Meg. #9 and used the other side to apply that where the scratches were, and it covered them up/removed them. Anyone know what might have happend?

tkr128
03-10-2003, 09:31 PM
Were you using a PC with the CMA yellow pad? If so, that`ll cause some swirls because the yellow pad is pretty abrasive as well as the DACP. The second step, would be to use SMR with a white polishing pad to remove the swirls left by the yellow pad.

blk96gt
03-10-2003, 09:49 PM
No I was doing this by hand. I forgot to mention that.

imported_chr9s
03-10-2003, 11:00 PM
While some people have had success using DACP by hand, this is really not recommended as you may not be able to break down the "diminishing abrasives" by hand. This is just my guess as to what caused the scratching on your car.

Actually, Meguiars recommends this only for use with a rotary. However, like many others here, I`ve had good results using DACP with an orbital.

imported_Aurora40
03-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by jduarte

Actually, Meguiars recommends this only for use with a rotary.

Just to clarify, my bottle states "For use with orbital or rotary buffer." I agree, though, that it probably didn`t break down with hand usage. Were the scratches lots of tiny ones all over, or a few fairly deep ones? If it was a few deeper ones, it was probably grit or dirt.

imported_chr9s
03-10-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

Just to clarify, my bottle states "For use with orbital or rotary buffer."

Whoops, sorry about that. The DACP we get in Manila comes in 8oz. repackaged "ketchup" bottles that doesn`t come with a label or instructions. Plus, the local Meg distributor didn`t particularly recommend DACP for use with an orbital. :(

But what the heck, it worked for me! :up

blk96gt
03-10-2003, 11:15 PM
There were tons of little vertical scratches, but nothign that I could feel. The paint felt smooth as ever.

AMP01
03-10-2003, 11:20 PM
blk96gt,

Since I got my PC, I have had great success with polishes. I use CMA`s cutting pad with DACP and then their polishing pad with GEPC/SEPC. I work each product in for about 2 to 5 min or until it is just about gone.

I have had soooo much better success with polishes and my PC, I will never polish any other way.

Cheers,

My Black 7 Series (http://www.cardomain.com/id/amp99)

Tim Lingor
03-10-2003, 11:49 PM
I believe the problem is that you are not breaking down the DACP to it`s diminishing abrasives as another poster already stated. If you do not break in down far enough, you will actually get more swirls as this is the abrasives/cutting agents doing their job(leveling). The DACP needs to be worked to the point that only a very slight film of residue is visible on the surface. Only then should it be wiped off.

Without a buffer, I would say that is next to impossible with a few exceptions in mind. It does state for use with an orbital or rotary. It does work well with the PC after going through the process. With the rotary, DACP is pure magic!!

Sorry, But I think that you will not get the results you hoped for with DACP if used only by hand( unless your name is Scottwax).

blk96gt
03-11-2003, 01:34 AM
Well I did rub it in until it was barely visble. I am not a small guy either, and lift weights everyday, so I don`t think I have the problem of not rubbing it in enough. Maybe there was just some dirt on there that I didn`t know about?

shaf
03-11-2003, 02:18 AM
Hmm, since you`re a big guy, maybe you rubbed it too hard? :D

What did you use to apply it with and have you used it sucessfully before?

blk96gt
03-11-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Hmm, since you`re a big guy, maybe you rubbed it too hard? :D

What did you use to apply it with and have you used it sucessfully before?

I used one of the terry applicators from Zaino, and I have used those ever since I got my first order of Zaino in about a year ago. I think this pad might be a little old though, I`ve used it probably about 10 times, which I usually dont do. I have some more stuff from Zaino on the way, including some applicators, so I`m thinking I will wait til I get those, and then try again. I also think that I might have rubbed it in too hard, but I don`t really know what the right pressure would be. I will try it again once I get some more applicators.

imported_Kyle
03-18-2003, 03:53 AM
hmm, was it because of your zaino applicator? Recently I tested my 1yr old Zaino app on CD, failed big time. Now I use them for my tires.

Actually I`m planning to use DACP with hand as well. but I`m not sure if my swirl is considered to be bad or not, so at first I`ll try to use either Swirl Free, SMR, or #9..

blk96gt, any update with your scratches?

blk96gt
03-18-2003, 01:23 PM
What I ended up doing was folding a MF towel to about the size of my hand, and then use dhte DACP followed by #9. It worked great.

AlphaSpread
03-18-2003, 01:52 PM
What simply amazes me is how ppl here oooh and aaah about the pics posted by Scottwax, yet refuse to use, or fail to recognize some of the most basic concepts of his technique. Looks like blk96gt got it right though. Good job!! :up