PDA

View Full Version : PC Reassurance

schoi
03-10-2003, 05:52 PM
Subject line pretty much sums it up.

It worries me... putting SMR on a white pad (or yellow if needed) and running the 7424 until it turns almost to powder, all in the same area of the paint. I`m kinda scared about swirling the clear to hell or removing it. Could someone explain how this isn`t gonna happen? I`m a PC virgin and my 7424 is coming tomorrow. :up

crooper
03-10-2003, 06:32 PM
that hasn`t happened to me ever, even the first time i used it. just make sure you break down the abrasives completely.

TortoiseAWD
03-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Even an idiot can use the PC. Ask me how I know! :D

Seriously, the PC is very safe. Just pay attention to what you`re doing, follow the excellent advice I`m sure you`ve already read up on, and you`ll do fine.

PC == my best detailing investment yet. :up

Tort

schoi
03-10-2003, 07:35 PM
Okay, thanks, will do. :xyxthumbs

jcattarulla
03-10-2003, 07:59 PM
You will be fine!

Your clear coat will be fine!

Your car will thank you!

Your neighbors will compliment you!

You will make friends and influence people!

Seriously, it`s a breeze. People call it idiot-proof, and it really is.

Think of it like ironing a shirt- you move it around and around, over certain trouble areas. You don`t keep it on one spot for too long. But even with a PC and it`s motion you could leave it on in one area for awhile. It`s motion is like that of a human hand, although much faster. Now, a rotary should give a novice pause, because it is more like an iron. But the random motion of your PC is much safer.

Read GeekySteve`s article on proper PC use- found on the home page on the lower left-hand side.

Remember: start low: PC with SMR and white pad. That most likely won`t remove moderate swirls so if need be move up to the PC with SMR and the yellow/ cutting pad. If that`s not enough, get more aggressive.

You MAY get slight hazing after SMR and yellow/ cutting pad. If so, don`t freak out. You can correct that by moving back down the scale to a less aggressive product combination.

I`d wish you luck, but you won`t need it! Please be sure to post again once you`ve had awesome results!

John

schoi
03-10-2003, 08:16 PM
Thanks a lot, man, I appreciate that. Very, very helpful. Pics to come... :D

"...Win friends and influence people..." Isn`t that a book title?

imported_Smoker
03-10-2003, 09:27 PM
I use the PC and SMR to cut all the crap off the top of the paint.

It removes all the small marks and imperfections ready for you to finish up.

For more problem paint I guess you need to take more drastic action (DACP/Purple pad) or even break out the rotary :eek:

But I guess each car has its own needs.

shaf
03-10-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by jcattarulla

You will be fine!

Your clear coat will be fine!

Your car will thank you!

Your neighbors will compliment you!

You will make friends and influence people! :lol How`s that for a sales pitch? :xyxthumbs

It`s pretty simple to use, even the first time out (I`m not far ahead of that yet myself). The learning curve (for me) pretty much is consisting of getting used to the vibration, handling and holding it properly, and keeping the pads flat on the surface. Apparently the CMA VC type pads are more forgiving for this than the Meguiar`s flat faced pads. It`s really safe as far as I`ve seen and it`s hard to build up any noticable amount of heat on the paint - try it! :)

ultrajim49
03-11-2003, 07:06 AM
confession:

my greatest concern the first time I used my Random orbital was how to drape the chord so that it wouldn`t touch the paint:o

now I know : drape it over the shoulder and keep the chord behind you:xyxthumbs

go on and use the PC : you`ll love the results.

Christiaan

schoi
03-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Thanks, all.

It should be coming in today. :up