PDA

View Full Version : Tough Winter...

NY_N8TIVE
03-10-2003, 11:54 AM
Hey guys, Hopfully by the end of the month it`ll be warm enough to detail my car. i bought my car about a year ago (99" BMW 528i Titanium silver) and as soon as i got it i had it buffed and i`ve been using 3M Hand Glaze and Liquid Glass once a month up until october then it got too cold to detail. I live in Boston and we had a rough winter. This time i plan on using 3M Hand Glaze, Klasse all-in-one then Pinnacle Paste Glaz for the final coat. So before i use 3m hand glaze, should i use a clay bar? or anything else that`ll clean and prepare the paint for waxing? The paint still has a good shine, but its got plenty of swirl marks...I`v never used a clay bar before. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for any info!

Step #1-? (need your help)

#2- 3M hand Glaze

#3- Klasse all-in-one

#4- Pinnacle Paste Glaz

Jngrbrdman
03-10-2003, 12:10 PM
I would start off with a clay job if I were you. After a rough winter, and especially since its a 99 and could probably use it anyway, using a clay bar will dramaticly improve the surface of the car. Its pretty easy to use. Just spray some lube on the clay bar and the surface you want to work on and then glide the clay back and forth in the direction the air moves over the car. You can use any detailing spray or soap and water as the lube. Your clay kit may even come with it.

imported_memnuts
03-10-2003, 12:30 PM
PB528i,

As Gingerbreadman stated. Actually claying is fun. It really improves the surface and makes following steps( glazing and waxing/sealant) that much easier.

PM DavidB and ask him about the "new" claying kit that will be offered here a Autopian. It will include everything you will need and should be one of the finest kits available.

Can not wait until it is available:bounce . Any up-dates DavidB?

I live and attended school in the Greater Boston area for over 40 years and I know how bad and long winters can be there. :(

audio1der
03-10-2003, 02:24 PM
As I have not received my Zaino yet, and it is still much too cold to apply :-( , I have to say that claying is far and away the best thing I`ve done for my car. It`s thrilling to run your hands over the paint, and feel nothing but glassy smoothness.:bounce

It is WELL worth the time it takes.

I`m sure the Autopia kit will be a good, thorough package.

LOTA OT
03-10-2003, 03:35 PM
I`m not real familiar with IHG, but if i remember correctly, it might have some real mild polishing abilities but its main purpose is the oils/fillers it leaves behind. Won`t AIO remove those oils/fillers you are purposely trying to leave behind? Maybe reverse the order?

Michael