PDA

View Full Version : Tried GEPC/P21S instead of Z2, WOW!

Pages : [1] 2

Hawkeye_TDI
03-09-2003, 04:48 PM
My car is carbon black (deep, deep, metalic, midnight blue).I have three coats of Z2 on it now and I wanted to reduce some of the very slight swirls, or micro marring.

So I pulled the garage queen out of the garage, washed it and proceeded to try GEPC, which presumably removes the Zaino, P21S, and Souveran.

Decided to do just the hood.

WOW! I saw an immediate darkening once I applied GEPC. I then topped 1/2 with P21S and the other half with PS

What I liked:

The color definetly looks, darker, richer, with a close to Zaino reflectivity. It looks incredible!

It applied and removed very easy, much easier than Zaino.

It smells great.

What I didn`t like:

The GEPC has alot of oils as does the Carnuba. It left an oily film which I had trouble removing. In fact I was unable to completely remove it. I suspect this is due in part to two things. It was only 45 degrees and I did it in the sun. :nono

The oily streaks I refer to I will describe as best I can.

When looking at the suns reflection on the hood, and wiping the wax off the suns reflection would move around accordidng to the direction I wiped. Am I making sense? It appeared there was material left on the surface that even with a good MF towel I couldn`t remove. All I was doing was moving it around. Is this due to the weather and being in the sun? What should I do?

I did not successfully remove the micro marring. These are only noticable at certain angles, but annoying nonetheless.

Conclsion? My next car will be silver! :xyxthumbs

Being a garage queen longevity is not a real issue. The results were encouraging and if I can , with your collective wisdom and help, get the above problem resolve the above issues I"ll make the switch for my dark cars. I`ll still use Z on my lighter cars.

It seems that with black, a totally swirl free finish is next to impossible, at least for this rookie. Will this stop me from trying? HELL NO!

Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

Bruce:bow

Jademonkey
03-09-2003, 05:00 PM
try qding the area with the streaks and see if that will remove it. I have never experienced this before when using GEPC and p21s.

I love the look of p21s on dark cars. I currently use it on the M5 and 328i, and use Blackfire II on the 325is since it is driven more and left outside 90% of the time.

billrouleau
03-09-2003, 06:59 PM
Bruce,

I recently made the switch to GEPC + Souveran on my black MB and I was, as you are, THRILLED at the results. The depth and wetness were incredible as well as the darkness of the paint. To these eyes, the reflectivity was every bit as good as Zaino. On silver, however, I still use Zaino as it does well there (silver needs more reflectivity IMO, and not "depth").

Regarding your problem of streaking, I don`t think GEPC or Souveran or P21s/S100 are supposed to be applied to hot cars. That is more than likely the reason for your streaking. I did my treatment in the garage and the ease of use was amazing (compared to Zaino). GEPC and Souveran were both like butter. I`m converted. :xyxthumbs

AMP01
03-09-2003, 09:27 PM
Bruce,

Did you apply the GEPC by hand? I have found that any polish that I apply to my jet black BMW always works better for me if I apply it with a PC. As long as I apply the GEPC in the shade or garage, I have never had a problem with oily streaking. I just work the GEPC into the paint with the pc for about 2-4 min. on each section.

Today, I polished the hood and and sides of my 7 first using a cutting pad with DACP, really pressing hard in my first couple of passes with the PC on 5 to 6. I didn`t get every scratch but the paint looks alot better. Then I used a polishing pad with GEPC using just the weight of the machine, and the PC on 6.

Next I applied Souveran wax. I just love that stuff.

I talked to geeky steve yesterday about getting some wool cutting pads to get all the scratches out. I will practice first on my wife`s honda to get the hang of the wool pads. Steve said the wool pad and either 3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze or DACP would be fine using the PC. After that I would probably use the polishing pad and GEPC.

Post some pics when you get a chance! :xyxthumbs

Keep up the great work. :up

Cheers,

My Black 7 Series (http://www.cardomain.com/id/amp99)

bigpoppa
03-09-2003, 11:34 PM
I found almost the same thing with Z2 and black cars - after PPCL and a coat of Souveran, no more Zaino on black. I`ll just use it on light colored cars - I tried PPCL and P21s on white today, not quite as good as Z2.

Hawkeye_TDI
03-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by AMP99

Bruce,

Did you apply the GEPC by hand? I have found that any polish that I apply to my jet black BMW always works better for me if I apply it with a PC. As long as I apply the GEPC in the shade or garage, I have never had a problem with oily streaking. I just work the GEPC into the paint with the pc for about 2-4 min. on each section.

Today, I polished the hood and and sides of my 7 first using a cutting pad with DACP, really pressing hard in my first couple of passes with the PC on 5 to 6. I didn`t get every scratch but the paint looks alot better. Then I used a polishing pad with GEPC using just the weight of the machine, and the PC on 6.

Next I applied Souveran wax. I just love that stuff.

I talked to geeky steve yesterday about getting some wool cutting pads to get all the scratches out. I will practice first on my wife`s honda to get the hang of the wool pads. Steve said the wool pad and either 3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze or DACP would be fine using the PC. After that I would probably use the polishing pad and GEPC.

Post some pics when you get a chance! :xyxthumbs

Keep up the great work. :up

Cheers,

My Black 7 Series (http://www.cardomain.com/id/amp99)

I did GEPC on a warm hood by hand. I was planning to try again next week with a polishing pad and a pc. I`ll try it like you said.

I did my truck, pewter, yesterday with 2 coats Z2, WOW again, it really makes that color pop!

As to pictures? Well, lets just say you give me to much "shine envy" LOL

When my wife brings the camera back I`ll post some, even if they pale in comparison to yours.:xyxthumbs

billrouleau
03-11-2003, 01:35 AM
Bruce,

The PC will probably make things easier...but you still MAY streak because of the heat. I would try it by hand again with a cool car in a garage or shade if possible. GEPC is SOOOO easy to use.

BTW, check out my pics in the gallery. The CLK was clayed, SMRed with PC, then GEPC + Souveran by hand. Needless to say, I was/am still stunned by the depth of the paint. It looks so much better than Zaino on black!

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4743&thumb=1

Hawkeye_TDI
03-11-2003, 06:28 AM
WOW AMG,

Those pics look fantastic! Thanks!

Black looks so good when it`s done right. Great job!

Bruce

billrouleau
03-11-2003, 11:05 AM
Thanks! Post some pics of your baby w/ Souveran if you can. I`d love to see them. :)

Nick T.
03-11-2003, 11:08 AM
<center>Way to go Bruce! :xyxthumbs </center>

If in three months time I’m still using the same techniques and products, then I haven’t been doing enough experimenting!

Hawkeye_TDI
03-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by 500amg

Thanks! Post some pics of your baby w/ Souveran if you can. I`d love to see them. :)

I will, as soon as my wife brings my camera home from her job.

I was at a detailing shop today getting my window tint removed.

We started talking about detailing etc. He uses some stuff called Ardio, or something like that. Anyway these guys were drooling over how my car shined. They kept asking what I used, while saying, and I quote " WOW, this car really shines!" I felt quite proud of myself.

This is the direct result of learning from my fellow analautopians!

I mean I did a good job, by my standards, it could have been better. We are always are own worst critics, yes? But these guys wanted to hire me!

This is such an awsome site!!

:bow :bow :bow :bounce :bounce :bounce

TheBeast
03-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Sorry but what is GEPC/I tried the acronyms but can`t fint the GEPc?

Kenji
03-11-2003, 08:32 PM
what is GEPC?

why there some Acronyms can`t be found from the list?:bow

ntoddalbert
03-11-2003, 08:44 PM
GEPC= Gloss Enhancing Paint Cleanser

Great stuff, and cheap too

imported_memnuts
03-12-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by FalconGuy

GEPC= Gloss Enhancing Paint Cleanser

Great stuff, and cheap too

P21S Gloss Enhancing Paint Cleanser. Check it out at CMA (www.properautocare.com)

or

S100 Shine Enhancing Paint Cleanser (SEPC) - found at many Harley Davidson Shops.

:wavey