PDA

View Full Version : Okay I am officially a freak (newbie rant)

joe_sun
03-09-2003, 03:13 PM
Okay well it started with my "new" car I bought.. 1987 RX-7. Always wanted one.. Well I started working on it.. rims, tires, shortshifter ect... the person who owned it before me took pretty good care of it but as I kept getting the car cleaner and cleaner (I never really sat down and spent a whole day detailing it) I noticed little things that would bug me.. say scratches in the instrument panel and stains.. things like that.. I also noticed I could never get my windows clean enough, it was a pain to clean the rims and so on..

Well a month ago I decided to wax her for the first time. I had always used Meguiars 1-2-3 in the past but I was running out and on my other home, www.rx7club.com, I read about 3m stuff being really good so I bought some fine cut compound, decided to keep my Meguiars #2 Polish- hell why not it works right. and then I got some 3m Show Car Liquid Wax.. What`s up with that stuff anyway.. seems to fade REALLY fast.. but it looked good for a while..

Anyway I liked it but after I bought all that stuff someone pointed me to Autopia.. Hey-Seuss Christ.. I thought you all were freaks but I lurked and learned.. today.. less than a month later.. I have a garage full of stuff that makes my life MUCH easier and my car looks even better.. I wish I had found you and read first because now I want to really try the Klasse stuff on my silver car.

I now have rim cleaner that pretty much you just spray on and it takes off the break dust.. thank God too because my Hawk HPS pads dust like mad.. gotta sacrifice for the stopping power ;-) Same thing with my carpet cleaner and everything else I have bought because of you guys... except the wax will have to try the Klasse in a couple of months when it`s time to rewax my car. OH! and I now have great glass cleaner, no streaks.. I can`t believe how easy it is to clean the glass now! I also cringe thinking of when I used to clean my dash with windex...

I "discovered" micro fiber.. Damn where have you been all my life baby.. and then.. to top it off.. the thing that I think puts me into 100% freakdom.. I took apart my dash to remove the instrument panel so I could clean the scratched plastic.. the entire time I was doing it I kept thinking.. man what am I doing.. hehe

I`m not going to lie and say it looks new.. come on the car is 16 years old.. but WOW.. unless you are looking really close you can`t even tell there were scratches there before...

I just wanted to say thank you to all the great information I have gotten here and I might post a question every now and then but it seems like this place has a great archive and I can search for most things.

THANK YOU ALL!!

wizardofahs
03-09-2003, 03:38 PM
Always good to hear a success story. What glass cleaner did you end up using?

joe_sun
03-09-2003, 03:51 PM
I went with Eagle One 20/20 with a microfiber cloth..

I had never heard of Eagle One before but wow they have some great, inexpensive products.

Oh it just occured to me you might want to see some pics.

Check out my yahoo briefcase under RX-7

The new pics, esp the ones with "wax" in the title were taken today. Other pics were pre-wax

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/jsotelo5150

Scott P
03-09-2003, 06:22 PM
You think you are sick now? It`s just the start. I`ve Zaino`ed my Weber Grill. It`s a pretty scary thought.

Redcar GUY
03-09-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by joe_sun

I just wanted to say thank you to all the great information I have gotten here and I might post a question every now and then but it seems like this place has a great archive and I can search for most things.

THANK YOU ALL!!

Thanks and welcome :)

switerajaya
03-09-2003, 08:40 PM
Nice RX, my sister had one about `87 and yours is about a thousand times better looking.

Welcome to Autopia... :wavey

imported_Intel486
03-09-2003, 09:09 PM
Looks great!

Amazing that an 87` can look that good. You did an awesome job on it.

You need to make sure you start her up everday to keep that rotary from going bad.

joe_sun
03-10-2003, 11:01 AM
Thank you for your kind words but the car isn`t all that. When you get close there are way too many paint chips and it feels soft to the touch until I do the plastic bag trick and then it feels like a teenager`s face with an acne problem... Man I need to clay this thing bad...

Mazda did a great job with the paint and the previous owner kept the car garaged and covered while in the sun so I can`t take a whole lot of credit.. I have spent many many hours cleaning it up thou :-)

As far as starting it every day, I sold my truck to my roomate and this is my only car right now so I don`t have a problem with that.. I do need to get something that gets a little better gas milage thou.. 15 MPG isn`t fun with gas costing $2.07 a gallon!

I think maybe next month I will clay and Kalss my car.. I do have some scratches I need to have taken out with a polisher thou.. anyone know a good detail shop in Sacramento?