PDA

View Full Version : Here’s how to find even more micro-marring ! ! !

Nick T.
03-08-2003, 10:55 PM
Does anybody else use a bright (200W-300W) handheld lamp to aid in finding and fixing micro-marring?

Now that there is more sunny weather here I’ve been doing a lot of my mar chasing out in the direct sun, and I thought that I had fixed most of them. But, a few days ago I was doing something in the garage and needed a brighter light so I picked up a 250W flood lamp that`s in an aluminum shell, and as I turned around it swept across the front bumper - - it looked horrible!

Outside with the sun overhead, much of the marring and missed wax/sealant on the lower parts of the car can easily be overlooked, especially on the vertical sections! For several days I’ve been chasing fine scratches, some not so fine scratches, and various other imperfections - - sitting on a thin cushion on the floor with the flood light in one hand and a cotton ball or MF cloth in the other. I’m learning a lot about light abrasives and glazes in the process, but it’s gonna take awhile to make it right!

schoi
03-08-2003, 11:06 PM
Yup, I`ve used some very strong lights to find that crap on my car before. It was a little after that when I realized that the frustration is not worth it. But, if you enjoy it, I guess that`s different.

Best of luck in your searches for marring... may your car be the best here! :xyxthumbs

bjwebster
03-08-2003, 11:10 PM
I have several Halogen "obsession lights". Great for finding swirls and seeing exactly whats going on on the surface.

schoi
03-08-2003, 11:32 PM
Don`t you guys ever get pissed off with those obsession lights? So frustrating.

Then again, if you can get a car to look outstanding under those things, it must be simply amazing in normal lighting. :p

offcenter
03-08-2003, 11:33 PM
I know what you mean. When I installed a halogen floodlamp in my garage I was shocked to see surface imperfections that the sun never revealed.:scared

imported_Smoker
03-08-2003, 11:55 PM
If ya wanna piss yerself off EVEN more, go put ya car under a sodium discharge streetlight.

They show up ANY colour variation in the vehicle paint thats invisible in daylight.

Something to do with the narrow spectrum light sodium lamps give off.

Works tho..........

SergC
03-09-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by bjwebster

I have several Halogen "obsession lights". Great for finding swirls and seeing exactly whats going on on the surface.

Same here

imported_BretFraz
03-09-2003, 12:43 AM
I have one and use it but everytime I do I get depressed.

imported_Intel486
03-09-2003, 01:06 AM
Filling up gas at night sure shows the scratches. Those overhead lights work great for showing swirls. The car lots with their high up overhead lights also work well at night. Just incase you don`t have any lights to use.

shaf
03-09-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Polaris

Don`t you guys ever get pissed off with those obsession lights? So frustrating. Yeah, I`ll say. I had one fall over once too close to my rear door and, well..... :shocked

:sosad

imported_Aurora40
03-09-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Yeah, I`ll say. I had one fall over once too close to my rear door and, well..... :shocked

:sosad

Well, as long as the light broke you won`t be able to see the damage, right?

TurboCat
03-09-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Intel486

Filling up gas at night sure shows the scratches. Those overhead lights work great for showing swirls. The car lots with their high up overhead lights also work well at night. Just incase you don`t have any lights to use.

Yeah I am able to check out my car for swirls, marring and scratches every time I fill up! This winter has been hell on my car, even with AIO, SG and P21S. I`ve got my work cut out for me this spring working on fine scratches and marring. :(

Can`t wait to get my PC next week!

DaGonz
03-09-2003, 09:48 AM
This winter has been hell on my car.

Truer words have never been spoken!

THERUSE
03-09-2003, 11:30 AM
If ya wanna piss yerself off EVEN more, go put ya car under a sodium discharge streetlight.

They show up ANY colour variation in the vehicle paint thats invisible in daylight.

Something to do with the narrow spectrum light sodium lamps give off.

Works tho..........

my goal is clear...i`d like to buy one,

they truly show everything that there is to show.

is there a smaller version of those lights for home use?