PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

MnRiverman
03-08-2003, 04:01 PM
I just washed my car today for the first time since I got my fender damage fixed, and this is what i noticed:

http://home.earthlink.net/~adg44/VW/Jetta%20A-Pillar.jpg

It looks like those bubbles or dots are under the clear coat. The blended the lower section of the door and fender, and then just recleared the rest of the fender and door. I looked all over and this is the only place where these "dots" are.

Anyone know what this is? I`m pretty pissed, considering they swirled my whole car too when they washed it. Does this look like some chemical reaction?

- Anthony

rd_volvo
03-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Is there are chance they shot a layer of clear coat

on that pillar?

I can`t see established paint bubbling from within.

MnRiverman
03-08-2003, 06:57 PM
Yes, they recleared the whole door, so they did.

imported_Smoker
03-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Looks like bad news.

Its called `microblistering` and is caused by the painter putting the new clearcoat on a damp base.

Usually it happens when they dont dry the car properly after wet sanding the old finish down.

The moisture eventually makes the clearcoat lift, causing the bubbles.

Odds are itll start to appear on other parts too in time.

Sorry .....

:sosad

MnRiverman
03-08-2003, 11:16 PM
I need to get a f`ing break one of these days. :(

I`ll go over to the body shop Monday. I don`t know if I even want them to do any more work on my car after this.

I wonder what grounds I have with the insurance on taking it elsewhere to get it fixed.

imported_Ronin
03-08-2003, 11:23 PM
Anthony-

Hope this wasn`t the work of Stingrays, was it??? :eek: :eek:

Justin

MnRiverman
03-09-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Ronin

Anthony-

Hope this wasn`t the work of Stingrays, was it??? :eek: :eek:

Justin

Yes, which is why I am very shocked. The work they did on my GTI (yours) was great.

GTI on steriods.... cute. :)

imported_Ronin
03-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by adg44

Yes, which is why I am very shocked. The work they did on my GTI (yours) was great.

GTI on steriods.... cute. :)

Glad you approve....;)

imported_Aurora40
03-09-2003, 07:54 AM
The bumper on my wife`s car was repaired at D&V Autobody in Chantilly. They did a great job with the painting and sheetmetal repair. However, they did leave buffer marks all over the trunk and bumper which I had to remove via PC. But if you`ve had good results from the place you went to, then maybe you should give them another shot. Anyone can make a mistake. :nixweiss

samiam513
03-09-2003, 09:31 AM
"stuff" stuff happens. It does to all. Give them another shot, and tell them you want it PERFECT. Nothing less. If after that is is still bad, talk to insurance.

Be glad it is not solvent pop. Thats wehre the clear bubles up and you can pop the bubbles. That means you`re looking at the paint!