PDA

View Full Version : Black Car - Klasse/Zaino poll

jsoto
03-08-2003, 09:50 AM
I went crazy trying to decide on a color and ultimately, I chose Black for my new BMW X5. Wasn`t too crazy about the mettalic paint selection........

Maybe I`m not a *true autopian* but I love the look of a clean black car with some sheen to it but not the mirrorish, reflectiveness I see on some of the pics on this board.

Any tips on what I should be using to attain this.

- Upon delivery, I was going to wash, clay, wash and then use SMR if there were any swirls in it. Once that was done, I was either go to Z the entire car the same day or Klasse 1X coat each day for 4 days consecutive.

Brodydog
03-08-2003, 12:16 PM
Klasse AIO and SGx3 + Souveran on my black cars.

Here`s what I do (http://members.roadfly.com/lowtech/Instructions.pdf)

imported_BretFraz
03-08-2003, 01:47 PM
Carnaubas rule on black. They create the ultimate richness and depth that no polymer sealant can touch.

P21S, S100, or step up to Souveran. Do it right and the X5 will look unbelieveable.

2clean4u
03-08-2003, 02:18 PM
I have a 2001 BMW X5 4.4 that is black. I love it!!!!! I use Klasse but top it with 2 coats of Souveran. Wow is what I get from every one. Klasse alone does not impress me much. I use it for the protection. bretfraz is right, carnauba rule on black!!

Great color choice on the X5

What options did you get?

Frank

jsoto
03-08-2003, 05:02 PM
the color was the hardest thing. I had a great sales rep and the negotiations on the sale price went so smooth.

I tried to do a special order on Sterling Grey with no luck......and was torn between the black and the oxford green. The green is also a great color but I hated the color when in bright sunlight. the mettalic threw it off and I wish they offered a flat oxford green - similar to a range rover green.

So black it is, 4.4

Premium Package

Sport Package

19" Wheels

Cold Weather

Park Distance Control

Xenon

Climate

Rear Door Mounted Side Impact

Rear Seat Heating

I`ve got big mods for it but immediate ones are swapping out to the M5 steering wheel, and audio upgrades.

imported_Luster
03-08-2003, 05:06 PM
8 coats of Zaino. No buffer.

Makes the car look like this.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid49/p78f067bb286a85e1c28367d9da19d64c/fcb1ac03.jpg

bigpoppa
03-08-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

Carnaubas rule on black. They create the ultimate richness and depth that no polymer sealant can touch.

P21S, S100, or step up to Souveran. Do it right and the X5 will look unbelieveable.

I`ll second that. I have been unhappy with Zaino on black. Don`t get me wrong, it is fantastic stuff, but just not on black. Souveran is beyond outstanding on black.

edwin907
03-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Klasse AIO and SG times 3 (with a 12+ hour cure time between coats of SG).

The Sonus is the best assist for buffing the SG off, better than the Eagle W&S, in my experience, but the Eagle also works very well, and is a heck of a lot cheaper and available everywhere.

Then Souveran times 2, with about a 6+ hour "cure" time between coats (I don`t think over 6 hours is much needed).

Then finish it up with Crystal Mist detailer.

The result is simply stunning.

tkr128
03-08-2003, 06:57 PM
Although I`m a Z user, I`d probably go with Klasse AIO topped off with a coat or two of P21s/S100 or Souveran. :)

2clean4u
03-08-2003, 07:05 PM
I have the same options except the park distance control. I did have the BMW hitch installed, and have a sunroof. I am disapointed with the sound system so I am planing on having a Alpine amp and 10"sub installed. Other than that I love the vehicle.

I did not like the way the x5 looked with metalic paint.

imported_Kyle
03-08-2003, 07:55 PM
I love Z but now I`m planning to try S100, autopia.. :nixweiss

Hawkeye_TDI
03-08-2003, 08:20 PM
Hey fskof,

Nice ride. I have 2 ///M5`s and my wife is pushing for an X5. BMW paint is soft IMHO. It chips easily, but shines up real nice.

My 00 is carbon black. I have 3 coats of Z2 with PS as a topper.

I have to say that Z tends to marr easily. I have very fine micro marring apparently from the Z application.

Tomorrow I plan to strip the Z with GEPC, then IHG and finally put on PS. I can`t wait to see the results. Then I can compare it to Z.

Good luck with that fine ride you have......

Bruce

AlphaSpread
03-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by jsoto

Maybe I`m not a *true autopian* but I love the look of a clean black car with some sheen to it but not the mirrorish, reflectiveness I see on some of the pics on this board.

Any tips on what I should be using to attain this.

To stay away from the mirror-like, glassy shine from products like Klasse, Zaino & even P21S, try using a good quality glaze followed by either Blitz or Mothers Carnauba Paste. Check out rd_volvo`s photos to see what I mean. He`s an avid user of One Grand`s products. I wouldn`t consider this preference for bringing out the color of your vehicle via a shine that emphasizes warmth over gloss un-autopian at all. Rather, a very evolved Autopian. :)