PDA

View Full Version : Painting small panels?? any ideas?

blackntan
03-07-2003, 01:15 PM
I`ve just finished replacing the panels on the racecar from a theft and joyride, and have a couple questions..

The pop up headlight covers and reas upper spoiler are the only parts that aren`t painted.

I really dont have the money to have the entire car repainted at this point, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or instructions on how I can do this myself?

I want it to look damn good, and this is the procedure i`m considering...

Sanding with 1500 to smooth panels, allow a surface for primer to stick to

painting with a sandable primer, 2-3 coats, sanding with 1500 between each.

sanding last coat with 2000, applying 5-6 coats of black gloss, sanding with 2000 between each.

Coating with 2-3 coats of clear, sanding with 2000 between each

and thats it..

whadda ya think?

anyone have any web resources I could look at to get some tips and ideas??

Nagchampa
03-07-2003, 02:31 PM
Use something more coarse than 1500 for the initial sanding. Try #600.

Use the same grade paper between your coats of primer. You just need to scuff the surface so the next coat will stick. Use a small sanding block or a wooden paint stick to help you sand and find high/low spots.

Sand the final coat with #800 - #1000 before spraying the black.

You should not sand between paint coats. Just wait for it to get tacky then do your additional coats.

If you are using gloss black, you do not need a clearcoat. You also won`t have to do any more sanding. If you want it to look ultra good, then color sand when you are finished spraying after the paint has cured.

blackntan
03-07-2003, 03:09 PM
thanks for the tips.

just one question...

whats the best way to color sand? do we have a tutorial or anything?

I`ve tried it once or twice, but fear i`ve been doing it wrong because my results have been less than perfect...

thanks for all the info, i`ll be sure to have loads of before/after pics on monday...

:up :up

imported_Smoker
03-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Best way to colour sand once the paint is well cured it to `denib` it with some fine wet paper and ALOT of water.

Some peeps put a drop of dishwashing liquid in the water bottle, but it seems to work either way.

This will take the big lumps n bumps (when i say `BIG` in talking big in terms of finished effect lol ) off the top of the paint ready for finishing with cutting compound and a rotary.

Steve @ Guru
03-07-2003, 05:26 PM
In between coats and before the first coat of color, I`d use those 3M scuff pads (they come in red, grey, etc).

imported_Smoker
03-07-2003, 06:00 PM
Ya, we call em `Scotchbrites` and they give just enough for the new paint to grip without causing any deep scratches.

Dont forget to tack too otherwise youll end up with all sortsa debris stuck under the paint.

Nagchampa
03-07-2003, 07:22 PM
There is no need to sand between coats. Just respray while the paint is still tacky but not wet. To color sand use a soft rubber block with some #1200 - #1500 paper. Just sand until the surface is barely dull then stop! Soapy water will be a great benefit at this stage. You can either use a spray bottle which would be best for the small parts you are doing, or a bucket with a soapy solution and a sponge or towel. Machine polish when done and you are good to go!