PDA

View Full Version : I have wetsanded an area but did`n do a good job, can I touch up & wetsand it again?

sheltem
03-07-2003, 08:52 AM
Hi guys I have tried to remove off a stone chip but did a BAD job .. the paint perhaps did not dry totally and the chip appeared again ...

I have wetsanded that area .. will it be harmful to do it all over again?

and there is a white spot appearing just beside the chip (also within the area which I wetsanded)

is this due to something that I have done wrong? If this is so, where did I go wrong? I tried removing the white spot with polish but to no avail :( anyone can tell me how to remove it off? :(

Kindly advice.

bjwebster
03-07-2003, 09:07 AM
uhoh

My guess would be that the white spot is where you broke through to possibly the primer. This would be caused from sanding the paint down too far. What grade paper did you use?

Did this area slowly get bigger as you sanded more?

Steve @ Guru
03-07-2003, 10:45 AM
:eek:

I was browsing through some of your other posts, and I`m guessing that you used 1000 grit sand paper to wetsand the area....1000 grit is FAAAAAR too harsh of a paper to use on a touch-up area.

I used 1500 & 2000 grit on some wheels that needed wetsanding after a fresh repaint. The 1500 made quick work of the dry paint - 1500 is very abrasive in its own right; 1000 grit is unthinkable!

If I were you, I`d stop at this point and take it to a pro detailer or a reputable body shop. The white spots you`re seeing next to the repair is the primer of your cars paint. My guess is that your fingertips were putting too much pressure on that area of the paint, and the sand paper ate through the clear, the paint and down to the primer.

Were it my car, I`d stop at this point and see a pro - it sounds to me like none of the touch-up process is working as planned, so I`d cut my losses and see if the pro`s can`t help.

Let us know how it turns out and sorry to hear about all of the problems... :(

sheltem
03-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Thx.. I think I will stop .. can I leave it like that for a few weeks till I bring my car for Professional grooming? Will it hurt the paint? Wonder if they can do anything about it... Luckily its NOT that big yet ... about half the size of a penny ...

I tried finding 1500 sandpaper but to no avail ... well ... anyway thanks... glad I tried wetsanding lolz ... at least I know what it is like and what harm it could do .. always willing to learn ;p

Lets just cross my finger and hope that the professionals can do something about it :D