PDA

View Full Version : What is Langka? Why does it not remove clear coat? Is it a abrasive?

sheltem
03-07-2003, 08:47 AM
Hi guys just visited Langka website. Any one knows why it does not remove clear coats? Is it a rubbing compound? How does it differ from wet sanding that people usually do?

Steve @ Guru
03-07-2003, 10:35 AM
Langka is a chemical that will dissolve laquer, but not clear coats. Since the majority (99.999%) of touch-up paints are laquer based, the solvent is able to break down the laquer without harming the clear coat.

CharlesW
03-07-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by tradertt

Hi guys just visited Langka website. Any one knows why it does not remove clear coats? Is it a rubbing compound? How does it differ from wet sanding that people usually do?

Just a comment or two, here.

Wet sanding is not all that common and is best done by a professional.

Rubbing compound is another product that I personally feel is better left to the Pro.

Abrasives remove paint. That is not always a good thing in the hands of an amateur.

raymond_ho2002
03-07-2003, 12:07 PM
What about if the car isnt clearcoated?

Also, would it work on cars with touch-up paint that`s like 8 years old?

Originally posted by geekysteve

Langka is a chemical that will dissolve laquer, but not clear coats. Since the majority (99.999%) of touch-up paints are laquer based, the solvent is able to break down the laquer without harming the clear coat.

ashsarna
03-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by raymond_ho2002

What about if the car isnt clearcoated?

Also, would it work on cars with touch-up paint that`s like 8 years old?

I have used it susseccfully on my car (not clearcoated). It really has no effect on oem paint clearcoated or not. It works because it reacts with after market (ie. touch up) paint which somehow (I do not recall the scientific reasons) has a different composition/process than the oem paint. On an eight year old paint it could have an effect only if you work at it. Try calling them, they are quite helpful.

shaf
03-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Just read Geekysteve`s post. He hit the nail on the head. It dissolves lacquer-based paint and one thing I found out is that even old, "cured" lacquer paint can still be dissolved years later! :eek: So yes, it will work on really old touch up paint blobs.... as long as they`re lacquer of course.

raymond_ho2002
03-07-2003, 04:50 PM
Is this stuff available in pep boys or some other chain store? Or is it internet order only?

-Raymond

CharlesW
03-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by raymond_ho2002

Is this stuff available in pep boys or some other chain store? Or is it internet order only?

-Raymond

A similar, (if not identical), product is available under the "Mothers" label. It can be found at several auto parts stores in my area.

www.mothers.com

They have a dealer locater on their web-site.

Charles

imported_Aurora40
03-08-2003, 07:52 AM
So does this mean that when you have touchup mixed by an autobody paint shop, that it wouldn`t work with Langka? They mix it up with the same stuff they`d use if they were to spray the car (though they don`t put in all the various flex stuff and whatever else after the color mix). Thanks!

forrest@mothers
03-08-2003, 08:26 AM
Aurora - the Langka method won`t (usually) work with bodyshop supplied touch-up, since it`s (usually) urethane based, and not lacquer based.

As geekysteve and 4DSC indicated, it only works on lacquer based paints. I`ve used it successfully on old touch-ups, but it works much slower (which I think is a good thing, since it gives me more control.) I prefer to let touch-up spots dry for a day instead of an hour when using the product. Also, metallics can be tough to match since the flakes may not be dispersed at the same rate as the OE paint was. This isn`t a shortfall of Lankga, but of the touch-up paint.

Raymond_ho2002 - if you`ll e-mail me, I can suggest some retailers where you can find the product.