View Full Version : Zaino Z1 over Z2

Samk
03-06-2003, 09:45 PM
About 1 year ago I first used Zaino. Started with 1 coat

of Z1 then on to Z2. I have put about 8 coats now of Z2

on paint, looks good. My question is from what i`ve read

after this many coats of Z2 I need to use Z1 again before

more Z2. Will this wipe out all the Z2 thats still there and

just be like starting over or will it add to whats still there?

Thanks

Sam

imported_Luster
03-06-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Samk

About 1 year ago I first used Zaino. Started with 1 coat

of Z1 then on to Z2. I have put about 8 coats now of Z2

on paint, looks good. My question is from what i`ve read

after this many coats of Z2 I need to use Z1 again before

more Z2. Will this wipe out all the Z2 thats still there and

just be like starting over or will it add to whats still there?

Thanks

Sam

Z-1 then Z-2 then repeat........

You can do that up to 10 coats. That`s how you layer Zaino. The Z-1 followed by Z-2 repeating is what creates the depth of shine.

Z-1 will not wipe out the Z-2 shine, only add to it. If you have Z-6 use it before you Z-1.

llbts1
03-06-2003, 10:37 PM
Bill, I thought the layering was each layer of z2 or z5. I don`t ever recall reading to alternate to get the layering. I thought that z1 was more like once every 6 months, and then hit it with z2 or z5 afterwards. Maybe I wasn`t layering if I wasn`t doing the z1. Thanks for any info on this, Larry

Nick T.
03-06-2003, 11:04 PM
Z-1 Polish-Lok is an accelerator for Z-2 and Z-5. It should be used for the first couple of Zaino applications, but then the Z-1 may be skipped for the next several Zaino applications. This has been my practice and was confirmed in a telephone conversation with Mr. Z.

You may apply as few or as many coats of Zaino as you like. I don’t know from experience, but many report that one coat will last for several months. Layering will improve the appearance, but when you get a lot of layers there are diminishing returns. Since starting my annual ground up detailing on my Jet Black paint a couple of months ago I’ve put on 30+ layers.

It will definitely improve the ease of application and appearance if you do a wipe down with Z-6 before and after each layer of Zaino!

Zaino will not adhere well to carnauba or oils. You need a dish detergent wash job before the fist layer of Zaino to get good results!

ZFX is a much better accelerator than Z-1. It sounds expensive, but you only use four drops per ounce of Z-2 or Z-5 - and one ounce of Zaino is enough for two coats on the entire car if you’re applying it thinly enough. I keep a bottle of Z-1 to use when I’m repairing the finish on a small spot since it’s impossible to mix a tiny amount of Zaino & ZFX.

If you have both Z-2 and Z-5 it will improve the appearance if you do 1 or more base coats of Z-5, follow with 3-5 coats of Z-2, then 1 coats of Z-5 before starting over with the Z-2.

If you’re gonna go to the trouble of applying multiple coats of Zaino, then it’s very important that you start with a good foundation! Dawn wash, clay bar, polish, glaze, shampoo wash, then start with the Zaino. And don`t count on Z-5 to fill very well, it takes several coats to fill even faint swirls.

Well worth the effort to do it right! :xyxthumbs

llbts1
03-07-2003, 12:19 AM
Thank You Nick, I love this site. I learn something new every day. On the z1 multiple application, you still leave it on and z2 or z5 over it like the first application? Thanks again, Larry

Nick T.
03-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Here`s the drill for Zaino - - The first couple of coats of Z-2 or Z-5 need an accelerator which can be either Z-1 or ZFX. After that you can skip the accelerator for the next few coats. Mr. Z. says it`s okay to go as high as ten coats without using an accelerator, but I usually use it every 3 to 5 coats.

Don`t get the wrong idea about the accelerators, they only do two things; decrease the time needed for Z-2 or Z-5 to bond, and also werve to prep the surface for better bonding. They don`t do any polishing, filling, etc.

Z-1 Polish-Lok works best if you top it with the Z-2 or Z-5 while it is still wet - don`t wait for it to haze. In the past, before I had ZFX, I would put Z-1 on just one section (like half the hood) and then top it with Z-2 or Z-5 before going to the next section.

After you get the Zaino applied to the entire car you need to wait until it has fully bonded - much sooner bonding using ZFX. Do a finger test - wipe a strip with your finger, it should leave a clean shiny strip. If there is any smearing or smudging then you need to wait longer. You can use Zaino in direct sunlight, unlike most other products, and this will speed things up considerably.

It is important to apply a very thin and even coat of Zaino! I use a microfiber applicator, mist it lightly with Z-6 or distilled water, and then put on a small amount of Zaino. Hand wash the applicator with dish soap after using and air dry. After 3-4 uses on each side, throw it away and start with another pad.

One more thing - don`t worry about making mistakes! There is a learning curve with Zaino, and you will make some mistakes while learning, but nothing that can`t be fixed with a little polish.

DETAILKING
03-07-2003, 09:17 AM
ZFX is an accelerater. Z1 is a different type of product. It activates crosslinking to get a better bond with the paint on the car. It is definately required for the first coat. After that use it twice a year under normal conditions, or once a year on showcars......or after every 10 coats to tighten up the polish bed. I used to use Z1 after every 5 coats and space my coats out at least a week. Now I only use ZFX.

Nick T.
03-07-2003, 10:18 AM
From the Zaino web site:

Z-1 Polish Lokâ„¢ will dramatically heighten the "wet-looking", mirror gloss and lock in the gloss protection shield. Apply a thin coat of Z-1 Polish Lokâ„¢ using a 100% cotton cloth or applicator pad, in a circular motion, to the entire vehicle, no rubbing is necessary, DO NOT WIPE OFF.
DetailKing said:

It activates crosslinking to get a better bond with the paint on the car. My calling Z-1 an accelerator is based on phone conversations with Mr. Z. and also the above quote from Zaino’s web site. Since it only needs to be wiped on, not rubbed in, it appears that it does just what DetailKing said, and only that. This is exactly what ZFX does, only ZFX does it faster. Both products appear to open the molecular structure of the underlying surface to speed up or accelerate the bonding process.

How important is semantics? I dunno! :nixweiss What is important is that Z-1 or ZFX give great results! :xyxthumbs