PDA

View Full Version : Apply touchup paint onto a paintchip - Help please

sheltem
03-06-2003, 06:28 PM
Hi guys if there is a small Paintchip that metal can be seen .. very small stonechip actually ... how would you recommend me to put on the paint ... I tried using a toothpick but had horrible results lolz...

I put the toothpick into the paint and when there is a small blob at the tip I touch the chip and it cause the paint to be uneven and even after polishing the paint with scratchX it is still uneven...

What is the correct way to do it? :D

Dunno if I need to wet sand but I am afraid to do that as its a new car and I am afraid that the paint will get rough and not reflective anymore.

sheltem
03-06-2003, 06:31 PM
Next, I touch the tip of the toothpick to the center of the chip and allow the paint to flow off of the toothpick into the chip. You will be amazed how well the capillary action works.

This is the part I had problem with .. if there is no blob I find the no paint will flow down although I put it immediately onto the paintchip...anyone knows why?

sheltem
03-06-2003, 07:11 PM
Here are some picture of the paint job that I did.. Horrible looking ... How can I make it flat? Should I wet sand? What grit of sandpaper then?

F1Crazy
03-06-2003, 07:48 PM
1500 or 2000 grit paper, lots of lubrication, sand in one direction only and the smallest area possible. Remove sanding marks with rubbing compound and follow up with swirl mark remover.

For mor info do a search on chip removal, this has been covered very well before.

Riccar
03-06-2003, 07:48 PM
you can try to remove the blob with Langka (www.langka.com). if the paint is non-metallic, it relatively easy to use. You apply the langka fluid on a cloth and rub off the excess. it does not damage the original paint. Works best if you rub lightly instead of firmly. If the paint is metaliic, the process gets a bit more tedious but reults are better than the blob or the hole. note that langka will only work with touch up paint kits, not enamels. You can also get it through mothers car wax. it is unfortunately expensive, $20 for a small bottle.

sheltem
03-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Thx guys .. any idea why the toothpick don`t work? Its a wooden toothpick by the way

sheltem
03-06-2003, 11:46 PM
Anyone knows why the paint does not flow down my toothpick? What sort of toothpick are you guys using? Can I use a wooden one?

imported_Faceman
03-07-2003, 04:54 PM
Have you tried using a dressmakers-type pin to flow the paint in with?

Face

sheltem
03-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Nope is that a Metal pin?

imported_Faceman
03-08-2003, 10:55 AM
Yes, just a plain old metal pin.

I found that wodden cocktail sticks went "soft" and lost their point easily, whereas the metal pins don`t, and the pins are also thinner with a sharper point.

Face

bandit
03-08-2003, 01:09 PM
For what its worth I have never used any of the products on the market for small paint chips.

I have found that what works best for me is a water based model Railroad Paint such as Polly S or Floquil and an artist #000 brush. This can be purchased at any Hobby store.

The paints come in an array of colors which should match any auto. It`s easy to apply with the #000 brush. Should you make a mistake or get to much on just wipe off with your finger and start over.

I clean the area to be touched up and apply, usually one coat. After it drys, polish and wax. Seems to last and doesn`t wash off. When finished, wash the brush in soap and water and leave a little soap in the brush and roll to a fine point for the next time.

mikeforp
03-08-2003, 01:29 PM
What do you all think about that paint pen offered by paintscratch.com? You can either get the paint pen w/ 1/2 oz. or a full oz. of regular w/ brush for the same price. I only have about 6 small chips to fill. Go pen or go bottle?

bandit
03-08-2003, 01:43 PM
I just find the method I use to be to my liking. Have done it this way for years. Very easy and almost goof proof. The paint lays flat on the surface and easy to apply. Also very small cash outlay.