PDA

View Full Version : Rim Cleaning

XJ0HNOX
03-05-2003, 07:26 PM
Hi I have a set of Chrome Cragars on my camaro and I didn`t take them off for the winter and now im paying for it. They are extremley dirty and i`m having a hard time cleaning them can anyone suggest what I should use on them? I`d apreciate it thanks.

imported_Luster
03-05-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by XJ0HNOX

can anyone suggest what I should use on them?

I`d try good, old fashioned soap and water. First take it to a car-wash and knock the big stuff off. Then get a bucket of warm water with your favorite car-wash soap and a soft wash mit and go to work.

I know it`s probably cold where you are, but you have to get that salt off the chrome wheels or they will pit and flake badly. Salt can do a multitude of damage in a short time, especially if it continues to go thru the wet/dry/wet/dry cycle. (that`s when salt does its best work!)

Once the wheels are clean, and dry (front and back sides), put on two coats of good paste wax (something long-lasting)......

Then continue to wash them once a week and wax every two months.

Brad B
03-05-2003, 10:50 PM
Or coat with a polymer sealant which will last longer than a carnuba paste wax. That`s an option, too.

Jngrbrdman
03-05-2003, 11:00 PM
Another good cleaning product you can get off the shelf is the new orange formula of A2Z wheel cleaner. That stuff is awesome. I`ve got rivets around my wheels and they are hard to clean around. A2Z does a fantastic job.

qsfanzone
03-05-2003, 11:37 PM
If they are chrome, after washing and drying, you can use final finish #0000 super fine steel wool to remove surface grime and contamination. (This also works good to remove paint over spray if your car should ever have the unfortunate pleasure of going to the body shop and the shop gets any over spray on any of your chrome.) Then go back over then with a good glass cleaner and coat with a polymer sealant wax to help protect them from further abuse.

ultrajim49
03-06-2003, 03:56 AM
XJ0HNOX

Welcome:xyxthumbs

Christiaan

XJ0HNOX
03-06-2003, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the suggestions unfortunatley it rained yet again today so as soon as its not raining/snowing ill ive them a try. Untill then my cars just going to sit in the driveway so they don`t get any worse.

imported_memnuts
03-06-2003, 10:17 AM
I highly suggest that you follow Luster`s post and at least wash the salt off the wheels ASAP. You may appear crazy washing in the rain/snow but it will save your wheels and $$ in the long run. Sitting the car in the driveway alone will not alleviate the corrosive activity taking place at this moment by the salt and acids encrusted on your wheels.:scared

Unfortunately, extreme detailing and exterior car care is not always a fair weather activity especially if you must drive in bad weather.:(

XJ0HNOX
03-06-2003, 03:07 PM
Ive been washing the sand off all through winter atleast once a week ive been hosing the wheels down. They still look dirty though they havnt started to pit or rust yet. They do look a little scratched up though I wont be able to tell untill I actually polish them.

58fury
03-06-2003, 11:27 PM
another welcome here:xyxthumbs i use a poly sealant, Meg #20, and rainX once every month or so, helps alot, water beads off, i dont use a rim cleaner, just soap and water, and EJANT your little cartoon is the funniest thing ive ever seen lol:D :p