PDA

View Full Version : Meg #7 over wax/sealant

nate010753
03-04-2003, 07:10 PM
Just wondering what your thoughts were on using a glaze ( #7) or similiar over a wax or sealant. I have heard conflicting stories and figured it was time I took it to the forum.

The way I see it if the purose of a glaze is to add oils to the paint and in essence make it shine then these oils would have to permeate through the wax or sealant on your car. Now if a sealant is doing its job I would have thought that things wouldn`t get through it. hence the beading of water and rolloff. So how would a glaze be able to do its job assuming what I said to be correct? Please correct me if I am wrong that was just my reasoning. thanks

schoi
03-04-2003, 07:31 PM
I can tell you from experience that Meg`s #7 will strip sealant and wax. I tried that a couple weeks ago over AIO and SG. After buffing it off, I noticed that my paint was squeaking, which is a sign of no protection. It was the same thing as what happened after I used SMR once, which certainly is going to strip sealants and whatnot.

Yeah, you`re basically right about glaze. That is its job, along with using fillers to hide swirls. It just so happens that #7 strips protection to get to the paint. I don`t know if all glazes (like IHG) do the same or not, though.