PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber blends

ssmokn
03-04-2003, 08:33 AM
Like many of you I`m hooked (no pun intended) on microfiber towels. I used to use high quality 100% cotton terry cloth but for most jobs I`ve switched to microfiber for everything except the real grunt work.

Thanks to the info. here I`ve got some good sources for microfiber towels. I also know how to do the "CD scratch test". I have been buying towels from a local detail supplier that seem very good. I have also been trying other towels from stores out of convenience.

I have noticed that all the microfiber towels I have seen are either a 70/30 blend or an 80/20 blend.

What is considered a "better" towel? Which blend is better for what types of jobs (paint work, glass, interior, plastic lense etc.)

Thanks for any assistance.:up

medic159
03-04-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by ssmokn

I have noticed that all the microfiber towels I have seen are either a 70/30 blend or an 80/20 blend.

That`s actually not the case, microfiber refers to yarn size, not content. There are microfiber sized yarns in 100% polyester as well as all natural plant based yarnns.

shaf
03-04-2003, 04:47 PM
I think the quality of the towel and the plushness has more impact than the blend of polyester/polyamide (or whatever they choose to call it). It can even be oddball numbers like 85/15 and 75/25.

In order for something to be called "microfiber" the fibers it`s made out of are supposed to be smaller than 0.1 derniers I believe (someone correct me if I`m wrong).