PDA

View Full Version : Gold Eagle Leak stopper

Jeffery
03-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Is anyone familiar w/ Gold Eagle leak Stopper? I have a 95 Jeep Gr. Cherokee Lmtd. w/ 110,000 miles on it, recently I`ve noticed a few drops of engine oil and transmission fluid under the Jeep. I paid a "mechanic" $150.00 to replace gaskets that he said was the problem, Sorry, it didn`t work :shocked

... at any rate I`ve not been a fan of additives, but I`ve been hearing about this Gold Eagle stuff and am wondering if any Autopians have any experience w/ it? :nixweiss

Any and all help is appreciated!

Jeff

mobiletech67
03-04-2003, 05:39 AM
I`ve never had much luck with the leak stoppers. However, you might want to consider switching over to Valvoline`s Max Life products: Motor Oil & tranny fluid.

Valvoline Max Life Engine Oil (http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=7)

Max Life Transmission Fluid (Mercon / Dextron) (http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=6)

These products are designed for vehicles with more than 75,000 miles on them. I have no experience with the products, but they are designed to reduce oil consumption and oil leaks.

mobiletech67
03-04-2003, 05:45 AM
I guess I should also mention that using leak stoppers would require frequent use in order to keep the seals expanded. By using a product such as the Valvoline motor oil, you would receive the benefit of the leak stoppers each time you changed your oil.

Also, you might want to switch to a higher weigh oil - (e.g. 10W40) - I`m not sure what is recommended for your vehicle at the moment, but 30 weight oils have given me nothing but issues on older engines with higher mileage.

Additionally, ensure that you change your oil at 3,000 mile intervals. If you are trying to stretch out your oil changes, the oil will just break down further and cause more issues with leaking.

Jeffery
03-04-2003, 08:27 AM
Tiles2Tech ... Thanks for the info.! As for the oil change frequency, I totally agree... all of my vehicles receive prompt attention in that dept. I was taught along time ago, If you want to run your car without gasoline, go ahead... but don`t ever think about running it without fresh oil!!

I think I`ll try the Valvoline Max... it`s worth a try!

THANKS!

:xyxthumbs

mobiletech67
03-04-2003, 03:49 PM
I stopped by Wal-Mart this afternoon to see what their oil selection looked like. The Valvoline 10W30 Max Life oil was priced at $1.97 a quart. This puts the price of a quart of Max Life about $.70 higher than your typical oil. However, if you`re only spending $15 - $20 more a year for the Max Life oil, it`s still cheaper than a new car payment of $300 a month. :eek:

Also, I saw a 5-Quart jug of Quaker State`s equivalent to the Max Life oil from Valvoline. The 5-Quart container was $9.17.

Finally, I looked at the Max Life transmission fluid. It was priced at $2.44 a quart. This price didn`t seem much higher than the regular Quaker State transmission fluid that I used to use in my Dodge Stratus when I used to change the tranny fluid on that vehicle.