PDA

View Full Version : 3 Bucket (indoor) Method

huangdong28
03-02-2003, 12:39 PM
I came up with this one cold winter day where I couldn`t possibly wash with a hose outside, and I couldn`t possibly drive the prowler as dirty as it was.

Three buckets:

#1. Carwash with sponge/applicator/whatever (I`ll call it Applicator)

#2. Plain water with sponge/towel/whatever (I`ll call it Sponge)

#3. Empty bucket

Apply carwash to a panel or smaller area. Squeeze (dirty) excess into empty bucket. Unsqueeeze in clean water and then squeeze into empty bucket to clean Applicator. Unsqueeze and leave in carwash bucket.

Use sponge with clean water to wipe down and remove appplied carwash. Squeeze (dirty/sudsy) excess into empty bucket. Unsqueeze in clean water and then squeeze into empty bucket to clean Sponge. Unsqueeze and leave in clean water bucket.

Repeat if necessary, or move on to another area.

Basically, you`re applying carwash and removing dirt in step 1, then cleaning Applicator. You`re applying water and removing dirt/carwash in step 2, then cleaning Sponge.

Yes, I realize that only about half of the carwash is being removed - but this is a BENEFIT. I use Zaino and per www.Zaino.com, Z-7 carwash applies a "reinforcing layer of polish and UV protection", so I figure leaving some on can only help. The bonus occurs when it rains, the carwash suds off, and you get a FREE CARWASH.

Works for me. If you want to try this, make sure that the car wash that you use doesn`t require complete removal.

aljo
03-02-2003, 01:16 PM
You should try Quick and Easy wash. Its a two bucket method that is specially made for indoor washing with limited water.

Many detailers swear by it.

shaf
03-02-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by bizzy928

You should try Quick and Easy wash. Its a two bucket method that is specially made for indoor washing with limited water.

Many detailers swear by it. Or even just one bucket. :)

huangdong28
03-02-2003, 04:10 PM
Interesting. Two replies, both from Canada. I guess you guys do more indoor washing up there than down here.

Given the problems reported by Zaino users that mix other products into the "system", I`ll stick with the Zaino carwash as part of the system. This is reinforced by the surfing I`ve done on this site, such as:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6869&highlight=quick+easy+detail

The kind of c**p I`m taking off is gritty (sand and salt from the winter), so I may be overly cautious with all of the rinsing - my objective is to get all of this stuff off without adding microscratches.

The Zaino description of Z-7 sounds similar to the QED: "Special water-based lubricant, prevents dirt from scratching the paint finish when washing."

I`ve been VERY happy with the Zaino system, especially the "free" wash when it rains.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I`ll try it on my wife`s car.

EDIT: Just came back to add another observation. Over at another board where I`m active, a lot of people are crazy over ProtectAll. Over here, a lot of people like QEW, from the same company. Note that I have reported elsewhere on my "15-minute detail" using Zaino QD on the paint and ProtectAll on EVERYTHING else. BTW, some people report great results of using ProtectAll OVER Zaino for carshows. Once per year, they strip down the ProtectAll (carnauba) with Dawn, redo the Zaino from scratch, and then use ProtectAll for the rest of the year. The QEW would work in well here.