PDA

View Full Version : Less really is more

ssmokn
03-02-2003, 09:22 AM
When using most auto care products in the past I was definitely guilty of using way too much product. When I compounded or waxed I always used to much product figuring if a little was good then a lot was great. Over the years I realized that I was creating more work for myself and not getting any better results. I cut back on the compounds, waxes and protectorants. I was still guilty of using too much car wash. I used to laugh at 16oz bottles of car wash soap -- that was 3 or 4 washes for me.

I figured more soap equals more suds and lubricity which is better to float off the dirt and grime (which we get lots of). I was reading David`s "Guide to Detailing" recently and I picked up a lot of nice tips and techniques. One thing that really stuck out in my mind was the comment "less is more" with auto products. I never thought of it that way but it is true.

Yesterday I washed my car and I measure two ounces of One Grand soap and dropped it in a 5 gallon bucket (rather than just pouring soap into the bucket). I then filled the bucket with soap until the suds came to the top (probably about 2 1/2 gallons of water). The wash was just as good if not better than usual and I wasn`t throwing money down the drain AND stripping my wax off the car.

My cars always look good but now they are even looking better with the tips I pick up here and from the "Guide to Detailing". Thanks!

imported_Luster
03-02-2003, 09:28 AM
I`ve found the same to be true for polishes and waxes.

I grew up in a time when people still used to polish shoes. My dad always told me that a thinner layer of shoe polish would produce a higher shine......

I only use one ounce of Zaino for my entire car and it is unbelievely shiney!

I`ve known guys who used half a bottle and were not happy.

(BTW - shoe polishing was an ancient tradition where people would spend their evenings detailing their shoes and admiring each others work........this was before there were cars.):eek:

Lowejackson
03-02-2003, 10:56 AM
I grew up in a time when people still used to polish shoes

BTW - shoe polishing was an ancient tradition where people would spend their evenings detailing their shoes and admiring each others work........this was before there were cars

Wow, I must be older than I think, I am not as bad as I used to be, but I still spend a Sunday evening polishing my shoes - I enjoy it and I can watch TV whilst doing it - cant do that with detailing a car :)

Steven

Scottwax
03-02-2003, 11:12 AM
Less is definitely more when it comes to waxes and polishes. My family used to be amazed that I could wax 20-30 cars with one 16 oz bottle of Meguiars #26 until I showed them how. They`ve all switched to S100 now though and were still amazed at how little product it took to wax.

imported_Intel486
03-02-2003, 12:17 PM
I agree that with polishes and waxes less is better but make sure when using car soap you follow the directions on how much to mix. Putting less in the water might save you money and strip less wax but it might be providing less lubrication on the paint.

I usually throw about 3 or 4 oz. of wash solution on the botton of my 5 gallon bucket and by the time I`m finished spraying it full of water there is around 3 1/2 gallons of water in it.