PDA

View Full Version : Salad Dressing Wash??

ssmokn
03-01-2003, 10:00 AM
I recently purchased a rock wool natural sponge from CMA. I was prepping (washing) the sponge for first use and reading the information pamphlet that came with the sponge.

For auto washing they recommend auto soap and water (no suprise here) OR as an alternative method one teaspoon of salad oil per gallon of water. They say that the salad oil will cling to the dirt encapsulating the particles as they are washed off the car.

I`m just curious if this is a valid car wash technique. I know that purchasing auto soap isn`t exactly a big deal (heck I`ve got at least two gallons of the stuff sitting here) but I was curious if this method might work in a pinch.

Just curious what some of you folks think of the salad oil and water wash mix.

Thanks.

thevolvoguy
03-01-2003, 12:59 PM
Salad Dressing?

Thats just odd. :nixweiss

I would think that the acidic part of the dressing wouldnt be too good for the paint, and I dont see how oil cleans the dirt off. It may cling to the dirt, but I dont think it would wash off easily.

I have never heard of this, and it sounds very... weird and a little bit stupid. I have searched the CMA website for somthing like that and came up with nothing. So, I dont know.

I wouldnt let any product with the word "Salad" on it touch my car.

Just my 2 cents :xyxthumbs

ssmokn
03-01-2003, 01:25 PM
Two things. First it wasn`t CMA that was recommending this it was the distributorof the rockwool natural sponge. Second, it is salad OIL (not dressing) -- basically just oil (olive oil, canola oil etc. etc.)

I thought it was pretty weird too. Just curious if anyone has ever tried it. I`m sticking with car wash soap for the forseeable future<g>

I didn`t mean to put salad "dressing" in the subject but I didn`t catch it until it was too late.

bjwebster
03-01-2003, 01:58 PM
ive never tried it, but i have seen it reccomended before. Ill personally stick with soap

Anthony O.
03-01-2003, 03:45 PM
I use a pinch of oil in my wash and after years of doing so have had no ill effects.

The oil does not "clean" the surface but rather acts as a lubrication and aids in the rinsing away of grit. It may be a bit wierd but then again so am I:bounce

Anthony

shaf
03-01-2003, 03:59 PM
The Romans used to "wash" by covering themselves in olive oil and then strigil it off onto the floor.......

ICK ICK ICK!!!! :eek: :nono :down

imported_Intel486
03-01-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

The Romans used to "wash" by covering themselves in olive oil and then strigil it off onto the floor.......

I still clean myself that way. Don`t know what you are talking about. Don`t knock it until you try it!

I`d think that the oil wouldn`t mix in with the water and would float around on the top. Why not just use car wash? It isn`t that expensive. Buy in a 5 gallon jug at it is around $8 a gallon if you go with Pro`s Cherry Suds.

shaf
03-01-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

I still clean myself that way. Don`t know what you are talking about. Don`t knock it until you try it!

I`d think that the oil wouldn`t mix in with the water and would float around on the top. Why not just use car wash? It isn`t that expensive. Buy in a 5 gallon jug at it is around $8 a gallon if you go with Pro`s Cherry Suds. That`s a good point about the oil not mixing (if not the most obvious - it`s funny we missed that at first ;)). Besides, some car wash concentrates are so cheap anyway a $10 (Cdn) jug will last a hobbyist detailer for ages.

Oh, and Intel: Ick... :p

Nagchampa
03-01-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

That`s a good point about the oil not mixing (if not the most obvious - it`s funny we missed that at first ;)). Besides, some car wash concentrates are so cheap anyway a $10 (Cdn) jug will last a hobbyist detailer for ages.

Oh, and Intel: Ick... :p The oil trick would probably work with the soap, but I couldn`t see just using oil and water.

I am in no rush to try it though.

ssmokn
03-02-2003, 09:13 AM
I`m not recommending it or anything, I thought it was as strange as most of you guys.

Actually, the oil (at least the stuff my wife likes) costs more than the car wash soap anyway.

I may try Anthony`s method of adding a little to the wash water and soap just to see if I can notice a difference.

I picked up a gallon of Meguiars Gold Class yesterday. I also have a gallon of One Grand Wash `n` Wax soap which seems to work well with the Blitz wax I have on the car.

Thanks for all the comments!

imported_Luster
03-02-2003, 09:21 AM
If I run out of Zaino car wash, I always use Hidden Valley Ranch.:shocked

But the real question is:

Which car wash is best on a salad? ;)

imported_Intel486
03-02-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Nagchampa

The oil trick would probably work with the soap, but I couldn`t see just using oil and water.

I am in no rush to try it though.

But isn`t soap made to clean oil so wouldn`t the soap`s cleaning ability be wasted on the oil you put in it?

Or, another thought, maybe the soaps ability to clean oil strips carnauba wax since it is basically a natural fat so putting oil in it would help prevent it from taking off carnauba wax...