PDA

View Full Version : Claybar and Zaino Questions

imported_Pat
03-01-2003, 12:37 AM
Hi, I have about 5 coats of Z on my car right now. If I clay again, will it strip the Z or make the shine duller? Also, I have a mothers claybar. Is it OK to use the zaino spray stuff with it, or do it need to use the showtime spray that came w/ it?

:bounce

imported_BretFraz
03-01-2003, 09:07 AM
How long has the Z been on the car? You may not have as much as you think you have as some of the protection has prolly worn off.

You can clay over Z, it won`t harm anything. QD the car after claying and be careful to remove all clay residue. Frankly, you`re best off by washing the car after claying. If you find the car needs some polishing after you clay, do that before Z.

I`d never use Z6 as a clay lube, way to expensive. Use the Mothers or mix a bottle of Z7 and water.

huangdong28
03-01-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Pat

Hi, I have about 5 coats of Z on my car right now. If I clay again, will it strip the Z or make the shine duller? Also, I have a mothers claybar. Is it OK to use the zaino spray stuff with it, or do it need to use the showtime spray that came w/ it?

Suggest you follow the Zaino directions, which says to use their car wash as a lubricant. I can`t tell the difference between Zaino clay and Mothers. Don`t use the Mother`s products over Zaino. Zaino also suggest washing with ZAINO carwash after claying. Follow the directions, and it comes out GREAT. Don`t follow the directions and . . . . . . (read the posts).

bigpoppa
03-01-2003, 10:16 AM
The clay will remove a bit of the Zaino, but not too much in my experience. I like to use some Z7 and water in a spray bottle. If you use the Mothers spray you will have to dawn wash to remove the carnauba in the spray before applying more Zaino.

lonestar
03-01-2003, 10:24 AM
If I remember correctly, Mother`s clay shouldn`t be used with water.

huangdong28
03-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by sync

If I remember correctly, Mother`s clay shouldn`t be used with water.

Back in ancient times (before Zaino sold the ClayBar), I used to buy the Mothers Clay Bar Kit AND THROW OUT THE QUICK DETAILER AND CARNAUBA WAX. I can`t tell the difference between the Mothers clay and the Zaino clay - the Mothers clay works just fine with Zaino carwash as a lubricant (1 cap per spray bottle) which, as mostly water, works just fine (BTW, for my wife`s car, I used the Mothers clay with regular carwash - and it disinitegrated. This is where I used the discared detailer and carnauba, by the way).

vmunoz
03-01-2003, 10:55 PM
If anyone might be interested.....saw Mother`s clay bar system at Walmart automotive ctr. tonight reg. $13.89, on sale......$7.00. They had about 3 left.

Take care everyone.....................V

forrest@mothers
03-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Ds01C5 - as a reminder, our Showtime Instant Detailer does NOT have carnauba in it.

We don`t recommend the use of water or water/car washes a lubricant with our clay. If you choose to, and the clay falls apart, please don`t tell me our clay is no good - we recommend instant detailer for a reason.

Scottwax
03-02-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by forrest

We don`t recommend the use of water or water/car washes a lubricant with our clay. If you choose to, and the clay falls apart, please don`t tell me our clay is no good - we recommend instant detailer for a reason.

The only problem is that Mother`s QD seems to dry too quickly when claying. Any chance of making it stay wet longer?

BTW, what is the status with the Clay Magic suit, or can you not address that?

shaf
03-02-2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

The only problem is that Mother`s QD seems to dry too quickly when claying. Any chance of making it stay wet longer? I kept a spray bottle of water handy to wake it up when it starts drying out. It was only inconvenient on those dry, really warm days. Next time around I might just pre-dilute some beforehand. I found it doesn`t take a lot of QD in water to keep the clay gliding nicely.
Originally posted by prowler

I used to buy the Mothers Clay Bar Kit AND THROW OUT THE QUICK DETAILER AND CARNAUBA WAX. Oh man, what a waste.... :(

huangdong28
03-02-2003, 09:21 AM
quote by 4DSC:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by prowler

I used to buy the Mothers Clay Bar Kit AND THROW OUT THE QUICK DETAILER AND CARNAUBA WAX.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh man, what a waste....

RESPONSE: In the old days before Zaino sold clay, the only way to get the ultra-smooth Zaino shine was to use another brand of Clay. The only one I could find locally was the Mothers Clay Bar system (note that this was also before the Intenet became the information source that it is today). Also, I was being just a LITTLE dramatic - I did say above that I used the other Mothers products on my wife`s daily driver.

Originally posted by forrest

We don`t recommend the use of car washes a lubricant with our clay. If you choose to, and the clay falls apart, please don`t tell me our clay is no good.

I have been using Mothers clay with Zaino carwash as a lubricant SINCE ANCIENT TIMES. After about 3 uses, I throw it away because of the dirt and it still has the consistency as when it was new. Yes, it did fall apart with another carwash that I used - but it works fine with Zaino. Before Zaino offered their own Clay Bar, they recommended claying with other brands of clay using ZAINO carwash as a lubricant. Again, I find Mothers and Zaino clay to be identical, I wouldn`t be surprised if they`re made in the same plant and just packaged under 2 different labels.

sizemoremk
03-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Hy guys, I`m new here, just wondering where I get this zaino stuff, and which produxt do I want???

I have a 1990 tbird SC, black with silver ground effeects.. Been sitting for awhile,a nd the surface was like 80 grit sand paper, from the prior owner, and it also sat in my driveway for a year or so before I got it on the road, like I like it.

Well I gots me some of that thar rubbing compound and polishing compound and right now I`m in the middle of these two.

I used the rubbing compund with (many) terry cloth towels and its now hazy and I`m still finding a few missed spots here and there, and getting the crap outta cracks....

What should I do at this point??? Should I use turtle wax polishing compound or should I get something else to remove any haze/swirls, and then use the clay bar?

After the polishing compound should I use some polish (mcquires Dual Action cleaner polish (#83) ). , then the some sort of wax(mothers in the can) or this zaino I am now hearing about???

I also found some of that color match turtle wax stuff with the black tube of lipstick type stuff on the side.... Is this thing any good for the deeper scratches????

What should I change about this plan???

I see the use of micro fiber towels is highly recommended....they sell em at the wall mart! Are those any good????