PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried velcro plate from...

SoTex
02-27-2003, 10:57 PM
Top of the Line (http://www.topoftheline.com/porcabvelpad.html)

From using the search, I`ve learned a lot about what people like to use with the PC. I`m tempted to buy the kit from CMA, but I don`t want to spend $60 for some stuff that I won`t use (lambswool pad and bonnets).

That being said, I couldn`t find anyone that has bought/used the plate from Top of the line.

Any insights?

Overall I have been pleased with transactions in the past with Top of the Line. They are very quick to ship. They also communicate very well.

CharlesW
02-28-2003, 12:08 AM
SoTex:

Since you appear to be looking for a backing plate and pad combo, you might want to check out Meguiar`s WDAV99 pad and velcro backing plate package.

It includes two polishing pads, one finishing pad, one velcro backing plate for around $33 plus $5.95 shipping. It is not on their web-site, but if you call them and tell them you want the kit with the backing plate, they will know what you want.

Charles:wavey

shaf
02-28-2003, 02:01 AM
If I were to buy another backing pad (who knows, I might just to compare...) I would get the Meguiar`s one that Charles mentioned. You can get it separately too, and the part # is buried somewhere in the thead linked in my sig. :p It`s smaller and thinner (therefore probably lighter) than other pads, so it`ll probably vibrate less.

imported_BretFraz
02-28-2003, 05:59 AM
I don`t think it makes a diff except for the size of pad you`re using. I have a "small plate" and a "big plate" for my PC. I use whatever plate matches whatever pad. They have no bearing on vibrations from what I can tell. They`re just backing plates, nothing more. No reason to get too fancy.

CharlesW
02-28-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

part # is

W-64DA

For the Meguiar`s 6.5" velcro backing plate.

Charles:wavey

shaf
02-28-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

I don`t think it makes a diff except for the size of pad you`re using. I have a "small plate" and a "big plate" for my PC. I use whatever plate matches whatever pad. They have no bearing on vibrations from what I can tell. They`re just backing plates, nothing more. No reason to get too fancy. I thought you were one of the people that reported reduced vibration when going from a 6" to 5" (Megs) backing plate? :confused:

imported_BretFraz
02-28-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

I thought you were one of the people that reported reduced vibration when going from a 6" to 5" (Megs) backing plate? :confused:

mmmm..... don`t think so :o

I think I was referring to pad size or counterweights...maybe.

Wouldn`t be the first time I contradicted myself :o :headslap

shaf
03-01-2003, 03:37 AM
Well, I don`t recall 100% if it was you either - all the evidence was blown away by that outage that continues to haunt me. :p

All I remember is there was a thread where a few people said that they noticed the vibes going down noticably when they switched to the W64DA pad (using a 6" CW). Charles helpfully weighed his (for a little vibration test I did) and it was 0.5oz lighter than the 5" PC branded pad I have. Seems that lighter is better. :nixweiss