PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a definitive method for IHG?

Pages : [1] 2

BlkonBlk
02-27-2003, 09:40 PM
I understand that the durability of IHG is less than impressive, but from what I have been reading, the shine it produces is supposed to be spectacular. I am not getting the results that I want and I was wondering if anyone had an application method they would be willing to share/recommend.

I`m all ears....:D

Michael H
02-27-2003, 10:02 PM
IHG is only designed to last a few days. Used by people in Concours, Shoe n Shines, etc, or by dealers after a great shine when delivering a new car. It is very easy to apply and remove, no special techique required. One little trick is to finish off with a decent carnauba wax to give greater durability.

BlkonBlk
02-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Okay....good to know. I guess to be more pointed, I am wondering if:

1. Has anyone had any success applying it with a PC? What pad? What speed? What did you remove it with?

2. Do you work it into the paint until almost gone?

3. Can you apply it like S100 where you apply it and wipe it off immediately?

imported_BretFraz
02-27-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by BlkonBlk

Okay....good to know. I guess to be more pointed, I am wondering if:

1. Has anyone had any success applying it with a PC? What pad? What speed? What did you remove it with?

Yes. Soft grey pad. Same speeds as most every other product. Removed with MF.

2. Do you work it into the paint until almost gone?

Yes, you are supposed to, just like every other polish or cleaner. IHG is no different.

3. Can you apply it like S100 where you apply it and wipe it off immediately?

No, its a glaze not a wax. Use it the way you`d use a polish or cleaner. If you try to remove it immediately after application you will hate it like no other product you have ever used.

BlkonBlk
02-27-2003, 10:22 PM
:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

My thanks. I will try it this weekend.

MnRiverman
02-27-2003, 10:39 PM
Since you mentioned about durability, maybe the 3M Finishing Glaze is what you want to use? From what I understand, that is a newer version of this that is supposed to last a lot longer? Hopefully someone can clarify this.

Also, if you are using S100 SEPC you most likely won`t need to use the Glaze, because the SEPC pretty much is a cleaner/glaze, as I understand it.

- Anthony

Thomasfl
02-28-2003, 10:05 AM
the SEPC is a great product especially for use with the S100. I have had good results topping the SEPC with S100, but I have had much better results using SEPC then adding a glaze like #7 or in this case IHG and then S100. It`s all about time. If I am doing a quick wash and wax sometimes I try to add the SEPC/S100 just to clean a little and add a little more gloss. But if I am going all out as it seems blkonblk is with his 350Z and time is not an issue I would use all three.

imported_Tony
02-28-2003, 12:21 PM
I have used IHG with a PC and have had good results but not spectacular. For spectacilar results you have to clay and polish first. The spectacular results come from paint prep.

just my 2 cents

Richt
02-28-2003, 12:48 PM
GEPC is good , but i get a much wetter look if i use megs no 7 or there hand polish over it then top with a carnuba. Lets us know what you think. I an thinking of getting some IHG myself and comparing it to the megs products i have.

BlkonBlk
02-28-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by rightlane

I have used IHG with a PC and have had good results but not spectacular. For spectacilar results you have to clay and polish first. The spectacular results come from paint prep.

just my 2 cents

I have actually purchased the two Menzerna polishes from CMA and am waiting for the weather to warm up a bit before I have a go at them.

Until then, I have been using SMR followed by IHG. Some panels turn out beautifully and others seem a little hazy in certain lights.

Thus my original question....:nixweiss

imported_Tony
02-28-2003, 07:46 PM
I tried to explain a glaze application like this to a newbie applying by hand . With a PC it is just easier, like bretfraz said but I use a Meguiars polishing pad.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=15948hing pad.

good luck

JAGOWNER1981
02-28-2003, 11:13 PM

I have actually purchased the two Menzerna polishes from CMA and am waiting for the weather to warm up a bit before I have a go at them.

Until then, I have been using SMR followed by IHG. Some panels turn out beautifully and others seem a little hazy in certain lights.

Thus my original question....:nixweiss

i hope you arent using SMR every weekend... sounds like u are using it often.

BlkonBlk
03-01-2003, 12:43 AM
:) No, not at all. Rightlane just seemed to be concerned that I wasn`t doing the proper paint preparation which was causing my lackluster performance with IHG. I was just trying to assure all readers that I had prepped my surfaces prior to applying IHG.

I think I am simply not working the product long enough before removal. At least that is what I have gotten out of the input I have received thus far.

MnRiverman
03-02-2003, 02:26 AM

I think I am simply not working the product long enough before removal. At least that is what I have gotten out of the input I have received thus far.

Are you applying it by hand or machine?

BlkonBlk
03-03-2003, 05:02 PM
Was applying by hand, but have switched over to PC using grey finishing pad. I think I had two problems (both related to inexperience).

One: Not working the product long enough.

Two: Using too much product.

I am finishing the car this evening. Will post pics when complete.

Anybody know whether I should let the glaze cure before topping with wax?