PDA

View Full Version : What to do when it "mists" out

JPS911
02-26-2003, 12:27 PM
Ok, I have a 911 that I call a daily driver, but the reality is I hate to drive it in the rain. If it is for sure going to rain, I leave it at home. That is partially because I hate to get it dirty, partially because the drivers in San Francisco get freaked out and even more stupid in the rain. :scared

But I digress. This morning, for example, not supposed to rain, and I pulled her out of the garage, dusted her off (have 14 coats of Zaino on her and detailed her on Sunday), and took off. 10 min later, it sprinkles for about 1 min. :angry Just enough to get spots everywhere.

So my question(s) is(are) this...what to do? With the 14 coats, am I protected enough, or is acid rain real and will it spot? Is the Quick Detail I read about with the damp microfiber ok? Won`t there be some crap from the road? Will it scratch? AhhhH!:bounce

Autopia! HELP!:bow

raymond_ho2002
02-26-2003, 12:34 PM
We dont get acid rain in San Francisco. That`s more of an east coast problem.

I have two black cars here in SF, and they`ve never permanently spotted after raining. Even when it bakes in the sun after short rainfalls. They should be gone by your next wash. :xyxthumbs

Thomasfl
02-26-2003, 12:35 PM
If the car is dry with some spots you can use a CCD to get rid of the dust and then use a QD with a MF. I do this everyday to keep my car up, takes about 5 minutes.

imported_Luster
02-26-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by thomasfl

If the car is dry with some spots you can use a CCD to get rid of the dust and then use a QD with a MF. I do this everyday to keep my car up, takes about 5 minutes.

BEAT ME TO IT!

That is exactly the procedure I use.....

CCD then QD...:D

And I always keep a bottle of QD and a couple of MF towels in the trunk just in case of a BIRD-BOMB! (I keep a CCD in the trunk also)...

JPS911
02-26-2003, 02:13 PM
Ok, so I get that for today...she had just been in the garage since Sunday, so she just had a smidge of dust. CCD took care of that. But what about when get home tonight? Won`t there be crap from the road, and will MF / QD spray be enough?

Also, are you talking about MF detailing towel, or an MF waffle towel?

rd_volvo
02-26-2003, 02:15 PM
I would do a quick bucket wash consisting of

water and a cap full of your favorite QD.

7-10 minutes and less chance to swirl your finish.

Do one panel/section at a time and dry. I think you`ll like it.

Thomasfl
02-26-2003, 02:18 PM
What I do when I get home and have a little mud etc. use a small bucket of car wash or QEW and just wash the dirty areas, then QD the whole car after.

imported_Luster
02-26-2003, 02:59 PM
My earlier reply is for a dry car.....CCD + QD.

For a wet/road-grimed car... I will almost always get out the hose. If the road grime is still wet, it will just rinse off...

If it is partially dry, I`ll just proceed with a bucket wash, dry and put to bed. I just can`t let that car sit there all night in the garage with road dirt on it. The only exceptions are 1. If it`s below freezing outsize (can`t get out the hose), 2. If its a steady rain forecast for several days.

I use a MF Detailing towel for QD`ing and a Waffle MF for drying.

captkirk2
02-26-2003, 07:25 PM
I dont like to use QD to clean as I feel it has too much friction and rubbing on the dirty paint.

My wash method: I used 1 oz of Ibiz car wash gel (low/no foam clean rinse) to 2 1/2 gals of water. 1 plus MF and 1 waffle MF.

On the horizontal surfaces and upper half of the I dip the MF in the bucket and wring out. Then plop onto the surface and pull towards me using the towel corners. Flip over to the other side and keep moving. As you pull you can guide over different surface areas such as the back of the car, fender curves, etc. I wipe dry the damp surface with a waffle MF. All of the dirt stays in the MF, the waffle is always clean. For light dirt you can pull twice on each side of the MF without rinsing. You can also spray a QD onto the damp surface before drying. Surface friction and dirt lifting is controlled by amount of water left in the MF after wringing and how low you keep your hands while pulling.

For surfaces below the beltline I slap the MF onto the suface and pull up towards me pulling the MF away from the surface to control exposure of the MF to the surface. As it moves up I pull away exposing a new part of the MF as it moves along.

For wheels and wells I spray a diluted mixture of the wash to presoak and then clean with a soft brush drying with the waffle.

Its real easy, super low friction with no scratching. I dont use regular washes unless I have to. I buffed my Infiniti QX4 with Meguiars Swirl Free then topped with McCalls paste wax. The finish was flawless. Then I drove for hours in the snow and washed all of the crap off using this method with no scratches at all.