PDA

View Full Version : Zaino, PC`s, and topping.

Pages : [1] 2

schoi
02-25-2003, 06:24 PM
I was just reading through some old stuff here on the forums, and I started thinking, how do we really know that sealants actually layer?

I mean, is there any way to prove that SG really is layering? Or for Zaino users, can it be proven that Z-2 and Z-5 are really layering? Is it worth it? Is it worth applying by PC? It seems like a waste to get a PC and just use it for stuff like SMR... why not use it for AIO, SG, or Z-1 / Z-2 / Z-5 (I think those are the ones...)?

(Speaking of, has anyone tried Klasse and Zaino on the same car and have an opinion on which was better / why? I`m thinking about going to Zaino.)

And, does anyone really know yet as to whether topping Zaino with something like P21S really degrades the Zaino? Or Klasse?

Hawkeye_TDI
02-25-2003, 09:13 PM
I have applied several layers of Z2 on my M5. I can say with conviction that with every layer the shine and depth got better. Whether or not that means they are "layering" or not I won`t argue. The increasing shine speaks volumes.

My problem as you know is that I seem to cause marring in my layering process. This dispite what I am reasonably sure is proper techniue, using the correct towels, etc.

Many people think topping Z is redundant. I applied PS over it with little or no noticable difference. I don`t think it will compromise the Z, many people to other poly`s with good reviews.

Good luck

B

Nick T.
02-25-2003, 11:52 PM
Bruce hit it on the head - the proof is in the seeing! I’ve got 30+ coats now since the last wash and it just keeps getting better.

Although I haven’t used an orbital buffer, I don’t think that you’d want to use it with Zaino. Too much product waste during application, too much marring during buffing.

Since Zaino does not contain any oils it does not hide surface micro-marring as does a carnauba, so the better the surface prep the better the finished product. Swirl mark removal is best, but glazing will work.

Because Zaino is very hard it is also susceptible to marring itself. This means that you want to use a light touch when washing, applying, and when buffing.

I’ve heard a lot of first time Zaino users complain about its marring characteristics, and IMO it is because they were using carnauba techniques - rub it in and rub it off. Keep the applicator lubricated (preferably with Z-6, but water is okay) and wipe it on - don’t rub it in. Leave only a thin and even coating. When buffing use only light pressure. If there is a spot that is difficult to get off, then buff more without adding pressure. A little Z-6 will help here.

Using Zaino is a Zen thing, not a Karate Kid routine!

schoi
02-25-2003, 11:54 PM
Man, I`ve got to try Z. =)

shaf
02-26-2003, 02:12 AM
Yes, Klasse SG layers. I did a 1/2 and 1/2 test on my hood and one side got "darker".

Michaelwdes
02-26-2003, 03:43 AM
so if you cant get out the swirls BEFORE the Zaino, you will not get good results with Zaino.....is this correct....it seems more like a very specific end part of the detail process.....oh and no wax after that right?

ultrajim49
02-26-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by flyby

so if you cant get out the swirls BEFORE the Zaino, you will not get good results with Zaino.....is this correct....it seems more like a very specific end part of the detail process.....oh and no wax after that right?

You got that right: swirls out before Zaino.

If not you will still have a great shine , but with swirls underneath.

Zaino is indeed the end of a detailing process, the cherry on top of the cake so to speak:D

Wax after that?

I (but that is me personal) would suggest not: you will have to remove it in order to be able to layer more Z(Z will not bond to wax)

Some others have put wax on top of Z and had great results.

Christiaan

Michaelwdes
02-26-2003, 04:07 AM
cool....now i know, and just have to find what product i want to use then before using zaino

imported_Custom Detail
02-26-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by flyby

cool....now i know, and just have to find what product i want to use then before using zaino

I use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze before Zaino.

It does a magnificant job.

I know some pro detailers who use it also.

:xyxthumbs

schoi
02-26-2003, 07:40 AM
IHG before Z? You can do that...?

Hawkeye_TDI
02-26-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by baltic

I use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze before Zaino.

It does a magnificant job.

I know some pro detailers who use it also.

:xyxthumbs

I also know pros who do it. I have been stating this for a while, but until recently found only foe`s.

:bounce :bounce :bounce

TortoiseAWD
02-26-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Nick T.

Although I haven’t used an orbital buffer, I don’t think that you’d want to use it with Zaino. Too much product waste during application, too much marring during buffing.

In my experience, this is not the case. I apply Z almost exclusively with the PC and a grey finishing pad these days precisely because there is less waste during application, and I can put down a very thin, very even layer of Z. I typically get 3-4 coats from one ounce of ZFXed Zaino when I apply with the PC, and I`ve experienced no marring in previous coats from the buffer. YMMV.

Tort

Nick T.
02-26-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

I typically get 3-4 coats from one ounce of ZFXed Zaino when I apply with the PC, and I`ve experienced no marring in previous coats from the buffer. That sure beats my 2 1/2 coats per ounce! How `bout posting a tutorial on your technique? :bow

rd_volvo
02-26-2003, 12:42 PM
My Op :

I have found using synthetics that they all create

a strange phenomenon. A spider web type look

that looks more like the cracking effect when you step

on ice. I have tested this many times by flip flopping

between carnaubas and synthetics and always get

the same effect. This characteristic is not in the paint

but in the synthetic. Maybe this is cross-linking.

When I switch to a carnauba based sysytem this cracked ice effect is gone.

Maybe others can play with this finding of mine.

I like the high reflectability of polymers and acrylics/resins

but prefer the warm candle glow of carnauba based systems.

Found topping Zee w/ carnauba cancels out both of

their strengths.

TortoiseAWD
02-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Nick T.

That sure beats my 2 1/2 coats per ounce! How `bout posting a tutorial on your technique? :bow Nick,

The technique is just a variation on how the Zaino website recommends applying . . . damp applicator, with a spritz of Z6 now and then.

I use a 3M waffle finishing pad (grey). I wet the pad thoroughly with water, then squeeze until barely damp. Sandwiching the pad between a couple of MF towels and squeezing gets them mostly dry, then I mount the pad on the buffer and allow it to free spin. Centrifugal force will pull any residual drops out of the foam. I then spray the pad lightly with Z6, and apply the ZFX/Z to the pad using a 35 mL oral syringe. Part of the trick is to get a very small amount of Z distributed over the face of the pad; the syringe comes in handy for that . . . it`s easy to control, and you can gauge how much is being applied to each panel.

Now to apply to the car . . . before firing up the buffer, I dab it in several places over the panel I`m about to cover. This leaves small deposits of Zaino on the surface that will "refresh" the pad as I spread the Z. In my experience, this yields more even coverage. Then I turn on the buffer (set around 2 or so) and spread the product over the panel. There`s no need to "work" it at all; I usually support a good deal of the buffer`s weight, and just let the waffle pattern of the 3M pad "massage" the Z onto the paint.

The first couple of panels will require more Zaino until the pad is "loaded"; after that, I`ve found the pad gives back as much as it apply to it, and takes only tiny amounts (less than 1 mL) for subsequent panels. Oh, I hit the pad lightly with Z6 every other panel or so, too, as that seems to even out coverage and allow the Z2/Z5 to spread that much more thinly.

If I`m doing multiple coats (and I usually do at least 2 if I`ve busted out the ZFX), I spray the pad with Z6 and put a damp MF towel over it while removing the previous coat; it keeps the Z on the pad from setting up in the interim.

:up

Tort