PDA

View Full Version : Some stuff happen after polish on the sticker of Modena

iamwashmania
02-25-2003, 07:09 AM
Hi Autopians

On Last Sunday, I go appointment to delivery detailing at the owner of Modena, 320 Benze S Class, Bmw 740IL, Lexus Harrior and Honda Accord.

I brought 6 men to do this job since 11.00 am till 7.00 pm. The job is quite difficult according to the time and lobor limited.

My guy do the Modena first. I know we have to finish the most difficult job. I use MG #83 Dual Action with W8000 yellow spong pad to erase the swirl mark which dont have much on this car. Then I use MG #7 with W9000 to make the car like show car.

I found the problem which is the clear platic behide the wheel have something stick on the surface of plastic like clay. I try rub it by my finger. That come out and occur again on the near area on the clear plastic. I use some MG 83 85 even the wax try to remove it. Bad luck it still there so I try to use MG Body Scrub that my dealer told me to try. It work very good the plastic clear come back. I can breath again man....

Then I wax the car with MG Hand polish and Cleaner Wax. The problem come again. Because of the car never wax before. The oilly mark is over the car. The mark come after my hand wipping direction. I solve the problem by using the Final Detail spray on the paint each part by part and wipe it of by new and clean MF.

The job come like what you see and the ownner ask his neighbor to take a look then he bring his F355 to let me do the detailing.

Who have this experice please share your experience.

Anthony O.
02-25-2003, 09:05 AM
I know it is not your fault but because of the broken english, even though it is typed out, it is difficult for us, well me at least, to get the full picture of the problem.

I care for 3 Modena`s, 2 F355`s and a 550 and have not experienced on any of them anything like what you have described. I bet it was scary for you though:scared

From what I do understand it sounds like something was left on the car from the dealer prep stage. Many dealers use that real heavy thick solvent tire dressing which can cause discoloration on the clear protective plastic that covers and protects the paint just behind the wheels from rock chips.

Now I have heard of this solvent based tire dressing actually softening the plastic and causing a thin top layer to, for lack of a better word, "melt". I have no idea if that is true or it is just a bunch of baloney, I am guessing a bunch of baloney.

The 360 looks real nice though. Glad it worked out well.

Anthony

Thomasfl
02-25-2003, 12:05 PM
Varong don`t worry about your english we`ll figure it out for you.

Is this correct, you used:

Hand Polish

Cleaner Wax

If this is correct then you probably took off some of the oils with the cleaner wax, you should use #26 after the hand polish.

ScrampaTeg03
02-25-2003, 07:47 PM
I too used to experience this problem when using Meg`s products (could come from any product but I just recall Meg`s), I found that I was using too much of the product and when I would remove the wax an oily residue would be left behind. I would try using less of the product and allow it to haze a bit longer.:up

-Brian

iamwashmania
02-26-2003, 12:10 AM
:o Thank you guys I am sorry that my english is not quite good. I go back to read it that so funny I didn`t check my Sentense first.

I wish my English not effect my communication and question.

Actually, the stuff on the plastic should be some wax that the Ferrari Factory put it on.

But The problem is solve. Thank you very much

Varong

Wash & Wax Banngkok Thailand

Anthony O.
02-26-2003, 02:01 AM
Get the sunglasses on:cool:

Lookin good

Anthony

PS- Don`t worry about the english or typing.

JPS911
02-26-2003, 01:25 PM
Just a random thought that has nothing to do with detailing.

Bravo, Autopia. I too read the original post, and I too had a hard time getting at what was happening. Instead of giving the gentleman a hard time (which as we all know in this world and in America is a possibility) everyone stepped up and got to the root of it, and the gentleman laughed as well.

Really nice to see such an open board. Well played. :up

Oh, and daaaamn nice car...looks shiny:cool: , so you clearly got the crap off in the end!

imported_Tony
02-26-2003, 01:36 PM
I would try WD40. I believe a light solvent would work better than a polish. If you have a chance try it.

wizardofahs
02-26-2003, 02:24 PM
It sounds like the plastic was put there on purpose maybe. I know some cars throw the rocks from the wheel to the paint behind the wheel. This causes damage. Putting a piece of plastic there (like a clear bra) could help reduce it.

I know a lot of guys here in Colorado with WRXs that do that. Those WRXs have paint that chips really easily, espeically in those areas. A little bit of plastic fixes the problem nicely.

Anthony O.
02-26-2003, 03:13 PM
Dr. Jones,

Yes it is a factory applied protective "shield" to curb the damage of rocks and road grit kicked up by the tires.

It comes from 3M Invisishield and is now applied to cars in an aftermarket fashion to protect the front end from rock chips. Itis applied to headlights and side view mirrors and the stuff is just about bullet proof. It was first used in the aircraft industry for prop planes. It curbed the damage caused by birds being sucked into the props.

A client with a BMW M5 hit a bird on the front end at 120mph. The bird was utterly destroyed but nothing happened to the paint but a mar on the Invisishield that easily buffed out.

Anyone that hates a front end filled with rock chips needs to invest the $300 and get a kit for their car. I can put anyone in touch with the guys that design the templates as they are good friends.

Anthony

jerry@robs
02-26-2003, 09:37 PM
I`m still drooling on Varong`s clientelle... ;) :bow

Jaeb, don`t worry about the grammar/spelling... ;)

Just a thought, did you clay the car beforehand? W9000 doesn`t like a "grabby" paint surface and tends to skip and smear if the paint isn`t smooth in my experience.

procareman50
02-27-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by varong

[BI am sorry that my english is not quite good. [/B]

Hey Varong: Don`t worry man....I applaud you for your English!! I am sure that NO ONE on this board would be able to speak Thai if they tried.........YOU THE MAN!!!!!!!!:xyxthumbs

brokentelephone
02-27-2003, 02:39 AM
Whoa, I was in Bangkok last year, and I didn`t see a single exotic car the entire time I was there! Lots of tuk-tuks though, most of them look like they need a good detail! Either way, looks awesome ! Nice cars!

iamwashmania
02-28-2003, 07:16 AM
:D Dear all Autopian in this board

I am glad to say that thank you do much. Your guys are so nice to response my question even I am in Bangkok that so far away from the US.

Acctually, I was studying in LA during 1992-1994 for my master degree. That`s such a long time ago. I miss the life style in the US so much. I have to work hard and stuck on Bangkok traffic everyday. But I am lucky that I open this my "Wash & Wax". Not much people know how to take care there cars properly. I wish they should see this nice community, autopia. Truely, I learn how to wash and protect the car a lot.

Unfortunately, I cant find some car wax like Vanila Moose or Klass or Mother in Bangkok. May be I should place an order oversea. Not only the car wax, but also the MF that I wish to try.

iamwashmania
02-28-2003, 07:51 AM
Thank again.

I took this photo at the end of that day

Varong

Wash&Wax

Bangkok Thailand