PDA

View Full Version : Is Mothers Billet Polish worth the $?

iforcev8
02-24-2003, 01:54 PM
Just how much better is it than the Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish? For $6 I picked up 10oz of the Mag and Aluminum, and I saw the Billet at a cost of $10 for 4oz.

Pats300zx
02-24-2003, 04:28 PM
The Mothers Billet polish is much better than their standard Alum polish. I would highly recommend it.

$10.00 is a good price. The cheapest I could find it was for $12.00.

Bobby G
02-24-2003, 04:52 PM
It depends... are you polishing billet aluminum? If you`re polishing cast aluminum, don`t bother. If you have billet aluminum parts, then it is worth every penny.

iforcev8
02-24-2003, 05:24 PM
I was going to use it to polish my forged Aluminum wheels, the results are pretty good with the standard stuff, just wondering how much better it can get.

forrest@mothers
02-24-2003, 11:42 PM
If you have a flawless finish, and use a standard metal polish, you`ll be able to see a fine scratch pattern when you`re done in the direction you buffed.

You won`t see that pattern with Billet Polish (assuming you were using a good towel like a MF).

The polishing media in Billet Polish is much finer than in regular alloy polishes, resulting in a better finish - assuming that it`s a good finish to begin with, and not pitted, scratched, etc.

stuart hicks
02-25-2003, 09:14 PM
I still think Mothers Carnuba in the red tin with no cleaners is the best paste wax available. Even the liquid carnuba with cleaners is an excellent product. I have found the billet to be a nice product but nothing too special.

Taxlady
02-25-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

It depends... are you polishing billet aluminum? If you`re polishing cast aluminum, don`t bother. If you have billet aluminum parts, then it is worth every penny.

What is billet aluminium?

forrest@mothers
02-25-2003, 10:56 PM
Billet aluminum is aluminum poured under pressure, so there are less air bubbles in it, and it`s more dense than cast.

Usually, it`s poured into blocks, which are then machined into the shape wanted with a CNC 3 plane cutting machine.

Due to its denseness, it is capable of holding a much finer finish than cast, and has a cprrespondingly higher price. The last set of wheels I bought were $3500.

You can purchase billet:

wheels

grills

spark plug wire looms

oil filler caps

door panel inserts

antenna

shift knobs

license plate frames

the list goes on and on. If you can dream it, and someone program a CNC machine to it, billet can be just about any shape.

Michaelwdes
02-25-2003, 11:22 PM
an off shoot topic, the polished lip on my rims, what should u use? i was thinknig about using Maas polishing creme. is that ok?

shaf
02-26-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Taxlady

What is billet aluminium? It is expensive.

Sorry, couldn`t resist! ;)