PDA

View Full Version : Feelings about using a Water Blade

Pages : [1] 2

Spilchy
02-24-2003, 11:38 AM
Hey guys:

Any of you like to use a water blade to dry your car?

I`m going to do a clay job and will wash my car twice (before and after claying). I DESPISE drying and want to do it as fast as possible.

I saw one at Target for $15 made by Baja. It felt real nice and delicate. However, I`m nervous about dragging it across my paint. Has anyone used this particular one? Do any of you trust an accessory from Target on your paint!!

Can anyone put my fears to rest?

I don`t want to go online and spend another $10 for shipping for one!!!!

bigpoppa
02-24-2003, 11:40 AM
Notwithstanding the fear of a piece of dirt getting caught between the paint and blade and scratching the paint - I was turned off by the screeching sound it makes.:scared

imported_Luster
02-24-2003, 11:47 AM
I am using mine less and less. It just makes me nervous.

I prefer the steady-stream-low-pressure water-method. Without a nozzle on the hose, I can take off about 90% of the water by simply running water over the surface at close range (no spray)...

Then I finish up by soaking up the remaining water with a terry towel or Absorber (blotting) and final finsh with a MicroFiber towel.

Look for the "Perfect Drying Method" on this forum........it explains in detail. I think its under Articles.

rockymountaindetail
02-24-2003, 11:48 AM
Couldn`t imagine drying my car without it.

Jngrbrdman
02-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Oddly enough I wouldn`t touch a CCD with a ten foot pole but I like the water blade. I wouldn`t use it on just any car, but it is a great tool if used carefully and properly. Just like everything else we use, it can cause damage if not used correctly. It is just as safe as anything else as long as you use your head.

Accumulator
02-24-2003, 12:00 PM
What Luster said :xyxthumbs Gee, he and I are agreeing on everything today! Jngrbrdman also has the right idea (just saw your post).

I DO use mine on the "drivers", but I`m VERY careful with it. And yes, sometimes you`ll get a scratch no matter how careful you are. Just have to weigh your priorities. BTW, I`m VERY gentle with it. I barely skim most, not close to all, of the water off and wipe it after every swipe.

This is a topic that we`ll never all agree on. Never have, never will.

02-24-2003, 12:01 PM
im currently using and autoglym one, with a T-bar end. Must say it works a treat and hasn`t scratched the paint at all, just make sure the surface is totally clean and free of dirt. There was a thread awhile ago about blades, 50/50 split......all i can say is give it a try yourself.

DETAILKING
02-24-2003, 12:36 PM
Too many horror stories out there to use it on paint. Play it safe and use an absorber or MF towels. I use my waterblade (sometimes) on windows....but thats about it.....

DK

thevolvoguy
02-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I agree with Luster, im starting to use mine a lot less too.

But, I have found a better use for it... windows. When I need a quick wash and dont have time to clean/polish the glass, after I rise, just use the CWB to dry them.

:angry <-- new face

shaf
02-24-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

This is a topic that we`ll never all agree on. Never have, never will. Yeah, I`ll say!

Spilchy, check out this thread from a couple months back: Water Blade - Recommend? Yes/No? (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17555&highlight=water+blade) :)

Sidney Trainer
02-24-2003, 05:37 PM
The waterblade has got to be one of my favorite tools. I use it all the time. The trick is to keep it clean. I use it on all kinds of cars, everything from my Pathfinder to my clients` Porsche 911 Turbos and I dont have one single complaint about it. Its not the product in itself that is bad is how you use it, Im sure if you used an Absorber wrecklessly you would do damage on the finish of a car.

I ussually blade the car, dry it with the absorber, and before i use the PC i take it for a quick spin to get the water out of all the crevices.

dbruene
02-24-2003, 08:11 PM
Here`s my practice. Following the low pressure steady stream rinsing, I sometimes make one pass with the blade to gently push the water off the paint surface only if it`s still wet. Then I would wipe the blade with clean towel and make sure no particle is stuck on the edge. If you can hear squeaking noise it means there is not much fluid between the blade and the paint, which maybe a no no. The first time I used it I was too agressive with it and did introduce some nice scratches on the roof. Yikes!

The towel blotting and MF follow-up wipe method seems to be safer, but then the blade way is a lot quicker. Oh, did I mention that I use the blade on my "older" car only?

It`s a great tool, but you got to be careful with it.

Aloha

:wavey

Tim Lingor
02-24-2003, 08:21 PM
Mine also scares me!!:eek: I find that I am more and more using mine just for the glass now.

MarkH
02-24-2003, 08:22 PM
I use a leaf blower, blows out all the crevices, blows out the grille etc, then use an Absorber or a MF towel to dry what gets left behind. Whats everyone think of this method? I can see no drawbacks. I have a CWB but am also a little turned off by it.

Like my use of abbreviations? I`ve been studying the list ;)

RobD
02-24-2003, 08:59 PM
I really don`t see the need for it. :nixweiss The majority of the surface water is run off by rinsing with a soft flow; with the advent of waffle weave MF towels, the remainder is quickly removed, safe and easy, without leaving streaks (or scratches) behind.