PDA

View Full Version : time to buy new pads?

robertorc
02-24-2003, 10:25 AM
How do I know when it is time to buy new pads? Do you measure the remaining thickness? Do you do that when you estimate that they are not doing a good jobe anymore? This is kind of subjetive.

Anybody has an idea?

HellrotCi
02-24-2003, 01:54 PM
I`ve wondered about this myself. If you don`t have new pad to judge against, how do you know? If you wash your pads every time you use them and not wait a week or two or until the next time you want to use one, this will help to prolong their life. This keeps whatever product you used from drying up in the foam and causing the pads to get that crusty feel. Feel them; are they still pliable and resilient? I think for most Autopians who use a PC on their car once or twice a year, the pads will last for many years. If you`re in doubt buy some new ones, then you can compare the old one with the new one. If you were starting to have doubts about your current supply, chances are you`ll want to change them out before too long anyway. If the old ones compare favorably with the new ones, the worst that has happened is you spent some money before you needed to. On the other hand you`ll have some new ones on-hand when you`re working on your car and an old one fails in the middle of a job.