PDA

View Full Version : Auto body shop damage

Bikerdude
02-23-2003, 07:27 PM
Hello all. I have been a long time lurker but never posted. I have a little bit of a problem. I recently had a few small dents removed from my 2002 Black GTI. Well the shop that did the repair work is thought of highly by many people where I live.

Well the problem is, when I picked up the car it looked good but it was also late in the afternoon and the sun was beginning to set. When I pulled it into the garage I saw tons of nasty swirls/scratches in the original clear coat. I took it back the following monday. They said they couldn`t buff it due to the paint being fresh. I said but what about the original paint, which you shouldn`t have touched. They tried to fix it 3 times with a rotary buffer. Every time they just half assed it and called it good.

Well the last time they tried to pawn off the damage on me. There reasoning was wouldn`t the fresh paint be more damaged than the original if we scatched it. Because the only time it would have happend would have been the wash.

Long story short, I have a PC and am prepared to fix there screw up, if I can. What SMR/Polish do you all recommend for very deep clear coat damage. I don`t think it is into the color. I could go back and demand them fix it. But I would prefer not to deal with them any more. And get the word around about there customer service:argue . If I can`t fix it, then I will have another shop respray the clear. Thanks for any help.

crooper
02-23-2003, 07:46 PM
if it`s just swirls, you`re better off doing it yourself. i got my car back from the body shop last month and even though i told them not to courtesy wash it, they still did and introduced swirls. i finally removed them this week with my pc. i don`t think that complaining some more will do anything anymore. the polish you choose will depend on how deep the scratches are. even then, you might not be able to entirely remove them, but you should be able to reduce their appearance.

Bikerdude
02-23-2003, 08:02 PM
I am not sure, but I think they sanded it to prep it for paint. Then realized their screw up and tried to cover up their damage. The paint was perfect when it went into the shop. Thanks to this site.:D