PDA

View Full Version : Which fills more: glazes or KSG

schoi
02-22-2003, 06:28 PM
My apologies for posting this in the main forum instead of one of my other two threads of a related topic, but...

Which will do a better job of filling swirls, a glaze (no. 7, GEPC, etc.) or Klasse SG (which I`ve been using and have lots of swirls!)

Also: Will No. 7 strip off the Klasse I have on there now? If not, what do I need to do (preferably not washing...) to strip it for a glaze + wax since I couldn`t use sealants if I go this route?

imported_BretFraz
02-22-2003, 07:06 PM
(1) Glazes are designed to fill so they will work better than a final sealant like SG which won`t do the job you want.

(2) No, a glaze will not remove K. Use IPA/water mix or grind it off with a mild polish. Or try a dedicated wax remover or a body shop prep product like Prepsol.

imported_Intel486
02-22-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

(2) No, a glaze will not remove K. Use IPA/water mix or grind it off with a mild polish. Or try a dedicated wax remover or a body shop prep product like Prepsol.

Most glazes have mild abrasives in them so it will remove a little bit of the Klasse SG.

Also, I forgot who it was but someone said he used a body shop Prepsol on white paint and it turned it yellow.

schoi
02-22-2003, 07:39 PM
Couldn`t I just put No. 7 on over the K and say, "the hell with it?"

imported_Intel486
02-22-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Polaris

Couldn`t I just put No. 7 on over the K and say, "the hell with it?"

Yes it can be. I`m not sure who agressive No. 7 is and applying it by hand won`t remove too much. You can always just put on another coat of Klasse SG before you apply No. 7.

Should look good though.

schoi
02-22-2003, 07:50 PM
Well, it`s always been quick to strip wax for me. As far as sealants, I dunno, either.

But will it have all of its filling properties if I were to go use it right now over the K?

(and is it normal for it to sound... watery when shaken? It hasn`t been used for months.)

imported_BretFraz
02-22-2003, 10:06 PM
#7 has less than 5% by volume of silica in it and 0.2% quartz dust. 3M IHG has even less "abrasives". Neither of these ingredients are anywhere close to being a cleaner. The silica product would feel as soft as baby powder if you rubbed in it your hands, its that soft.

No true glaze will come close to cutting thru a solid layer of Klasse.

And if Prepsol did turn white paint yellow, there must have been a serious problem with that paint. Prepsol is designed to clean painted surfaces, not strip them.

schoi
02-22-2003, 10:08 PM
Of course not. But my little #7 experience leads me to believe that the K *is* gone... I mean, why else would the paint be squeaking like it does after SMR?

shaf
02-23-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Polaris

Of course not. But my little #7 experience leads me to believe that the K *is* gone... I mean, why else would the paint be squeaking like it does after SMR? That`s because the Klasse SG is gone. From my other reply:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12891&highlight=ihg+strip

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3548&highlight=imperial+hand+glaze

According to both Ron and Forrest, glazes have solvents that will dissolve sealants (and probably wax too). I`m not certain, but personally I don`t think glazes are terribly different from brand to brand.

rstype
02-23-2003, 06:03 PM
FYI, I did another Sharpie permanent marker CD test, and 3M`s Imperial Hand Glaze took the ink right off. P21S, Souveran, and #26 required substantial effort to even touch the ink, and with the new Blackfire, it was nearly impossible.

From my experience, both the IHG and the Klasse fill in swirl marks poorly. IHG does an excellent job adding shine to the paint, and Klasse offers excellent durability, but none of them do anything significant.

Stick with a quality abrasive, proper pads, and lots of elblow grease and effort!

:up

breakneckvtec
02-24-2003, 04:29 PM
or grind it off with a mild polish.

That word should be banned for use on autopia, that made me cringe!:nono

DETAILKING
02-24-2003, 07:29 PM
#26 and #7 both can contain up to 5-10% abrasives. The big unknown and important information we are missing is the size and shape of these abrasives.

Glazes and waxes use MILD abrasives to slightly mar the surface to increase durability. It gives the product more of a BITE on an other wise smooth surface.

In my opinion, I would not use these products over KLASSE, as the abrasives and solvents in them, will definately weaken the base sealant layers. For minor swirls, multiple coats of KLASSE might fill them to a degree. For major swirls, just use some 3M swirl removing products on the effected panel, and then reapply wax or sealant......

schoi
02-24-2003, 07:52 PM
Bleh. Until I get a PC, I`m not sure that I really wanna hear a damned thing about SMR. :o

But yeah, it`s the solvents or the abrasives or something. No. 7 didn`t just weaken the K-twins, it completely and udderly (lol, moo moo!) stripped it. Gone. Away. You are the weakest link, goodbye.