PDA

View Full Version : Layering BF Polish??

DDAVER
02-22-2003, 06:12 PM
I know the BF PP can be layered but can the polish be layered as well? I have already done 3M FCRC followed by SMR followed by one coat of BF GEP. There are a few swirls from the SMR that the GEP didn`t cover and I was thinking of applying another coat of GEP. Can this be done? Would I be better off layering a few coats (3) of BF PP instead?

On a side note, I`m never going back to terry towels again! These MF`s are so easy to use, I love them! My car already looks alot better than it ever has. I`m learning, slowly but surely :xyxthumbs

nate010753
02-23-2003, 09:39 AM
I don`t think another coat of the BF II polish will help much. My impressioin of the BF polish is that it is used to make the car look better once the sealant is place over it. If I were you I would get all the swrils out before the BF Polish stage of the game. I`d do teh SMR again if it were up to me. I am surprised the FCRC didn`t remove them.. How are you appling it? ( ie. PC or by hand?)

DDAVER
02-23-2003, 10:49 AM
I applied the FCRC by hand but I did two panels a day. One in the morning and one in the evening this way my arm wouldn`t get tired and I wouldn`t rush through it. There was some hazing after the FCRC so I followed with SMR. After the SMR the hazing was gone. When I applied the BF GEP, just about all of the swirls and imperfections were gone. But since I`ve joined this site, I`ve become extra picky about how the paint looks ;)

I`ve only had this car for the last two years and I don`t know how well the previous owner took care of it...It`s non-clearcoat so I don`t want to get too crazy with the rubbing compounds. Plus the paint is 14 years old. There are just a few marks that won`t come out and I was hoping another coat of BF GEP would cover them up but I guess that wouldn`t benefit me.

I`ve been putting it off for the last year, but maybe it`s time to finally get a re-paint.

nate010753
02-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Nah I wouldn`t go for the repaint just yet? Are there just a few spots if so you may be able to buff them out if you have access to a buffer? maybe a friend has one that you can borrow for an afternoon. I have a black accord and on my last decent detail I did the following:

wash

clay

3M SMR with a white pad

#7 Glaze with a white pad

BF GEP with a white pad

BF PP with a black polishing

The car looked great when I was done I was in my friends garage who has flourescent lights and the swirls were defintely not noticeable. However fast forwad to today ( about 3 months went by) there are all kinds of marks and swirls.

This time around I am going to klick things up a notch and going to try the 2 Menzerna polishes. They are suppose to be really good according to a few threads I have read and CMA naturally is pushing them. At any rate I will be using a PC with an orange pad and then the BF routine. I am hoping to really get the finish to gleam. At any rate if you keep watching the board I`ll post the results when I finish should eb about 2 weeks from now. It may be helpful to you.