PDA

View Full Version : If only there was a product that...

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Aurora40
02-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Just a product thought: I was in my car today and thought of a product I`d like. I`d like a sort of quick detailer for wood trim. I usually wipe it down with distilled water, and occasionally wax it with wood wax, but it would be nice to have something else to wipe it with that might add a tad of protection. I also hate that when I do the dash, I get rubber/vinyl stuff on the wood which looks smeary, and when I do the wood I get wax on the plastic. So something that was good for both might be of interest too. Meguiar`s Detailer QD (can`t remember what it`s called) claims to be ok on rubber and plastic and wood along with being used as a QD, but I can`t quite see wiping the whole interior down with it (though I`ve never even used it).

Something made for wood that won`t make a mess on the rest of the interior, and that would remove the smears from interior products, and that would help keep the wood looking new would be great. Just thinking out loud... ;)

imported_BretFraz
02-22-2003, 07:08 PM
Plexus is what you need. Works great on acrylic coated fakeywood. I use it on my car (non-fakeywood) and it looks great.

imported_Intel486
02-22-2003, 07:27 PM
Whenever I do cars that have trim that vinyl dressing will smear on I`ll just come back with a damp MF towel and wipe it all down. MF towels do well at picking up that type of oily smears.

bjwebster
02-22-2003, 08:28 PM
I Use Z6 On My Wood (non-fake), On my Dash, Everything In Sight. Works Great For Me. Leaves Everything Very Matte.

Pats300zx
02-22-2003, 08:30 PM
You can try Novus #1. I had good experience with it.

Scottwax
02-22-2003, 08:53 PM
I`ve had good results from Quikshine.

Anyone who has a Mercedes made between 1996 and 2002, don`t spray anything on the center console by the shifter. There is a transmission sensor under there that will be ruined if it gets wet and it is not a warranty repair!

Just a heads up!

bjwebster
02-22-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I`ve had good results from Quikshine.

Anyone who has a Mercedes made between 1996 and 2002, don`t spray anything on the center console by the shifter. There is a transmission sensor under there that will be ruined if it gets wet and it is not a warranty repair!

Just a heads up!

Hmm, Know What Kind Of Sensor? Only Thing I Know Of Is The VSS Sensor Which I Think Is On the Transmission Tunnel, But its In A Sealed Box.

Scottwax
02-22-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by bjwebster

Hmm, Know What Kind Of Sensor? Only Thing I Know Of Is The VSS Sensor Which I Think Is On the Transmission Tunnel, But its In A Sealed Box.

There is something right under the center console. I got wind of it in an issue of Professional Carwashing and Detailing. I`ll have to see if I can find it in the next day or two.

Sidney Trainer
02-22-2003, 09:18 PM
There is a plastic coat on top of most wood trims on cars. The only car I have seen that doesnt have this is Range Rover. So in most cases your just wiping down plasti, in which case wood waxes or polishes are useless.

tupsliats
02-22-2003, 10:59 PM
I don`t have wood, obviously, but I wonder if using something for hard wood floords would be good (for real wood)? Like spraying/wiping on Formby`s Oil Soap. Makes floors look good, no water to mess the finish.

imported_Aurora40
02-23-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by eduhilera

There is a plastic coat on top of most wood trims on cars. The only car I have seen that doesnt have this is Range Rover. So in most cases your just wiping down plasti, in which case wood waxes or polishes are useless.

It`s not really plastic, I don`t think. It`s a veneer just like many furniture woods have. And wood waxes are the best things for them. There is one spot at the bottom of the door where you can actually see a cross-section of the wood (if you lay on the floor). The wood is fairly thick while the veneer is quite thin. I think wood wax is as appropriate as it would be on a nice veneered table or something.

Intel, I usually do use a wet towel. I just wish there were something that added a bit of protection more easily than breaking out the wood wax. Just like you wipe vinyl/rubber treatment on the dash, I wish there were something easy like that for the wood.

I have thought about QD`s, but I don`t really see how they would be more beneficial than just plain water.

Interesting suggestion on Plexus, Bretfraz. I have some, so maybe I`ll give that a try.

Maybe I`m just a sucker though, but I`d prefer something that is actually made for wood. :nixweiss

Richt
02-23-2003, 07:41 AM
Spary furniture polish? Pledge here in the uk.

Sidney Trainer
02-23-2003, 07:44 AM
The wood trim on cars cannot be that thick... Think what happens in an accident and the wood breaks up... There is real wood used, but it is cover under a plastic or veneer as u said... so truly you arent polishing the wood... i always use and MF to wipe them down...

imported_Aurora40
02-23-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by eduhilera

The wood trim on cars cannot be that thick... Think what happens in an accident and the wood breaks up...

What? For one, it has to be thick enough to be able to attach it without breaking it. And for another, flying wood debris?? That sounds a bit far-fetched. No offense intended, though.

And as I said, wood waxes are made to be used on veneered wood. Why would you think the veneer makes it not need protection? That`s like if you veneered your car (like with a clearcoat) and then said it didn`t need anything extra. While the wood may last a long, long time on it`s own, I`d still like to help protect it. I also think the veneer is a bit different than automotive paint, so I would prefer not to use automotive products like QD`s with carnauba or anything.

Rich, pledge is another good idea. I`ll look more into that too (I`d spray in on the towel first to avoid a mess). But I guess I always thought Pledge was pretty crappy stuff. It just seems like the Armor-All of wood products... But I don`t know.

Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice. But I still wish that in a market crowded with tons of detailing products, that there was just one more.

HellrotCi
02-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Wood veneers can be extremely thin, I`m talking 2 sheets of paper thin. They are laid over the plastic forms of the individual trim pieces and bonded to it. That`s why they can be smoothly blended into the recesses of holes used for lighters or knobs and so forth. Wood trim in cars are coated with some kind of flexible acrylic or polymer coating that protects the wood. Veneers are actually pretty fragile and the interior of a car represents a pretty harsh environment for wood. Think about the high interior temperatures from the heat of summer. Heat and sunlight are woods two greatest enemies.

If you want to protect your wood, use something to protect the coating protecting the wood.